Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

advice on new countertops

I'm trying to find out the easiest, cheapest do-it-yourself options for a countertop. Currently mine have old formica laminate. Don't want that if I can help it. The cupboards and countertop were probably replaced in the early 60s. Built in, all out of half (at least) inch birch plywood.(That's another question I'll have shortly.) I don't think I can remove the countertops very easily (probably holds the old cupboards together), but I'd like to update. If I could remove them, I still don't think I could buy prefab, cause I'm sure the counters aren't square (and they're 27" deep), so I don't think that's an option. I'm left with tiling them. I thought maybe I could lay the concerete board right over and go from there and live with the extra inch or so in height. Or, I maybe could remove them and then put the backerboard up (if it's possible). I feel I'm left with tile. I found these 20" square porcelein tiles I like that with the 6" I could do the counter. Anyone have any ideas?

skits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

advice on new countertops

When i did mine at home i fitted half inch ply over the whole of the cabinet tops then backer board and finally tiled the whole lot but on the edges front and sides i made some trim up to the size i required and finished them off.:D

lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote