Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

advice on hanging sliding door from ceiling please

i live in a concrete apartment, so no wood anywhere. i've got a 7' wide den that i want to cut off with sliding doors (similar to this) and the joist pictured below just happens to be hanging exactly where i want to hang it (running across the 7' span).

can i simply screw the door rail onto the joist? or bolt it? clamp it? the doors are heavy... maybe 100lbs.

first time i'm attempting anything like this so advice is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
advice on hanging sliding door from ceiling please-2012-08-04-15-58-10.515.jpg  

somuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

if you can reach up into the ceiling i'd rip plywood and put it in that "joist" (furring channel) between the screws and shoot some screws up in there to make the "joist" more ridgid. if not it should hold without it but more bulking up the better. then screw in your top track with longer construction screws then the screws that come with doors. mark with your level down the jamb on either side to determine where your bottom track goes. assuming that the floor is concrete screw the bottom track down using tapcon screws. hang doors on top track then lock them into the bottom track. then move the doors back and forth and adjust to level them and to make them run smoothly

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
somuee (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
if you can reach up into the ceiling i'd rip plywood and put it in that "joist" (furring channel) between the screws and shoot some screws up in there to make the "joist" more ridgid. if not it should hold without it but more bulking up the better. then screw in your top track with longer construction screws then the screws that come with doors. mark with your level down the jamb on either side to determine where your bottom track goes. assuming that the floor is concrete screw the bottom track down using tapcon screws. hang doors on top track then lock them into the bottom track. then move the doors back and forth and adjust to level them and to make them run smoothly
thanks! exactly the advice i'm looking for.
somuee is offline   Reply With Quote