Addition - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

addition

I am adding on a room to an existing frame- it used to be a screened in porch. I framed around the 4x4's and left the existing wood frame at the top (aprox. 12" all around the top) and butted the drywall up to it. Is the drywall mud going to join the wood to the drywall properly, or am I going to have to slap some trim up there? Please and thank you...

Advertisement

shera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

addition

Not sure what you are asking. Drywall mud is for filling gaps in drywall, it is not an adhesive/glue.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

addition

You will need a trim. The drywall and wood will move differently.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #4

addition

I am sorry I explained so poorly, what I mean to say is can I have a nice finished look without worrying about cracking etc. where the wood and mud meet. I believe Bob said that I would need to add trim which makes sense....thanks for reply and appreciate any help that I can get!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

addition

Another option is to use j-Channel at the adjoining edges of the drywall. This will give the drywall a finished edge if you think a trim will not look appropriate for the design of the room. this is a channel from the drywall department not the type for siding.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #6

addition

I have never heard of J channel, could you give me a brief description about it? Thanks Bob!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shera View Post
I have never heard of J channel, could you give me a brief description about it? Thanks Bob!
It is a plastic trim that covers the edge of the sheetrock to give it a finished edge. Check out this link to see how to install it.

J-channel on drywall edge, do I glue or just put in place
Old 04-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,052

addition

Was a screened porch - now to be living space. Like apples and oranges. Foundation changes, wall changes, roof possible changes, heating and cooling, wiring, all hopefully to minimum code. Be safe, GBAR
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

addition

If the drywall is already up, J-mold (channel) won't work. It is put up first and the drywall "inserted" into the "channel". It has 3 sides. Two sides are 1/2" wide and the third 3/4" (hence the "J" reference) with the longer side fastened to the wall and the rock goes up into it. You could use "1/2 bead". It is similar to corner bead with an edge on one side that is 1/2" and one side 3/4". The narrow side slips over the edge of the drywall and the wide side (which has holes punched in it like regular corner bead) is fastened on top of the drywall and finished like regular corner bead. Trim would likely be a lot simpler and finish out fine....
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #10

addition

I decided on the trim, thank you everyone...I'm sure I will be back with a few more...

Advertisement