Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Share |

Adding window...cross brace in way...options?

Ok, I gutted the walls of my garage for my renovation. I am splitting the garage in half and making a home office in the back. I want to put in a 36x28 window right at the bottom part of the cross brace. What are my options for working around this? Can I cut out along the stud and put in my jack studs? I also have to work around the gas pipe.

Thanks,
Kevin

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #2

Gone Fishin,
Sounds like a fun project you've got going there:
If you're thinking about cutting out that cross brace: Once you frame up the rough opening, assuming you'll have at least two studs (one king/one jack or one king/two jacks) on each side, cut that brace so it abuts the rough opening framing. The framing should act as part of the cross brace if you use something like a Simpson clip or tie to anchor everything together.
Another thing, from the photo I can't really tell how old the home is but if it is on the older side you've probably got thicker and wider lumber in there than what you'll buy today. Just something to keep in mind. Best of luck...let us know how it turns out! Thanks.
Skipperjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #3

what are you doing on the outside of the house?usually you see that kind of bracing is done because the sheathing you appear to have doesn't have much racking strength
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

This post hi-lights one of the many conundrums of DIY: a simple project that affects the structural integrity of the home. And it's not impossible to overcome. I'm even more encouraged because your post is evidence that you want to do it the right way.

I would take the picture down to the building department, show him, and tell him you're going to properly frame out the window, but you'll ultimately keep that let-in brace in position when all is said and done.

(When you actually go to do it, nail a temporary brace on the face of the wall studs, then remove the let-in brace, then frame your window, then reinstall the let-in brace, but note that you'll have to let the brace in on your window framing studs as well. And remove the temporary brace afterwards.)

It will be important for the town to know what this will look like, so bring a sketch of the framing along with the photo. For something like this, since you're ultimately keeping the brace, and you're doing it yourself as the homeowner, you shouldn't need a sealed drawing.

Also, check those water stains in the corner. Something's going on there.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
DIY Expert in Training!

I framed in the window today...cut the brace to the left of where I put in the king stud. There are a few water spots that I will be investigating. The main source that I can tell is a gerry rigged back porch. It was a covered porch that the original owner enclosed with storm windows and a screened door. I will be removing that shortly. I will also replace that outside sheathing with plywood next weekend. I'll post a picture later as I am exhausted!
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote