Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Adding an upstair in the attic

The picture i am showing is the area where my living room is at, which has a higher ceiling than the rest of the house. The rest of the upstairs is easier to do but the area above this section of the house has got me at odds. It has 2x8's ceiling joist (red) spanning 19.75' with a beam laying flat and a beam on its side (blue and purple). This beam on top of the joist connects the trusses of the roof as well. Each joist is 16 OC except for one. Im hoping the picture does more justice to what i am working with. Now the question is if i want to put an upper floor with a heavy load what would be the best way to make this work.

In all i think this was bad engineering on the builder and maybe not up to code from the span tables i have looked at.

My thoughts were to sister in 2x10 or 2x12 beside the 2x8 put back the beam that held on the trusses like the original and then actually put a 4x12 beam on top of the joist in about 12' marker where my wall is going to be and tie the joist in with that beam. This beam will connect to the wall on both sides that leads to the foundation. Also i might add blocking which helps from twisting. Ideas please?
Attached Thumbnails
Adding an upstair in the attic-living-room.jpg  
woneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #2

some photos would probably aid everyone ..... I'm some what confused by your descriptions

what are the dimension of "the beams?" Typically beams are not laid flat (I think this may be lateral bracing) as they do not achieve as much strength against bending in this configuration.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

The flat beam is a lateral bracing and its 2x10. There is an actual 2x12 next to it which is nailed to the 2x10 and the roof bracing. More or less in the diagram the blue and purple rectangles. I will get an actual picture when i get the chance.
woneal is offline   Reply With Quote