Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #1

Share |

Adding an Interior Wall

Good morning
We are adding a wall (with door) to close off an area of our house. My question relates to the fact that the new wall will come off the existing wall at an angle. This angle is between 45 - 90 degrees.

I'm trying to figure out the correct way to attach the wall stud for this angle. My concern at the moment is that if I cut the wall stud at this angle, it be wider than 4" and therefore not right moving forward.

I'm sure there's simple way to do this. I am trying to upload a picture but I'm guessing my file is too big.

Thanks

Netcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
the Musigician

Adding an Interior Wall

How to resize photos to post them here.

DM

Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #3

Adding an Interior Wall

Don't cut the first stud at an angle. Cut the top and bottom plate at an angle to fit against the existing wall. Then use that angle to cut a piece of 2x and add that piece to the first stud, which is installed perpendicular to the new top and bottom plates. the angle piece acts as a filler to support the end of your drywall.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Adding an Interior Wall

I gave some incorrect info. The angle is actually between 90-180 (roughly 135 degrees) from the existing wall.

I've tried to reduce the size of the image so that you can see it. However, you'll need to turn your head to realize that the brown is the carpet!

Packer Rich - thanks. I'm still confused though as when I have cut the base plate to the right angle against the existing wall and attached to the stud they fit but the plate is way bigger than the stud. I'm not sure how you use that angle to cut a piece of 2x4 to be used as a filler. Perhaps my angle info led you down a different path.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Netcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
DIY staff

Adding an Interior Wall

You have two choices as I see it---Cot the top and bottom plate to match the wall angle--then --either a 2x4 stud straight across at the wall--this will leave you with a small triangle that will need to be filled with another 2x4 ripped to shape and tacked in--

Or use a 2x6---ripped to shape
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Adding an Interior Wall

If I'm looking at the pic correctly, you have the bottom plate on the floor and a stud on the existing wall. The stud on the existing wall should come off. Then, cut the plate to match the angle where it intersects the wall. Then, install a stud on the NEW plate that you cut the angle on, at a right angle to the plate. You will not have a stud on the old wall that does not line up with the NEW plate, following the line of the NEW wall.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #7

Adding an Interior Wall

Hey Packer,
As I see it, you build up your new wall on the line of the angle first.
Then rip a 2x4 or 2x6 for filler piece and tuck it in (glue it and screw it) between existing wall and new wall.
otch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

Adding an Interior Wall

Sorry the message was for Netcord not Packer-Rich.
My apologies.
otch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Adding an Interior Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch View Post
Hey Packer,
As I see it, you build up your new wall on the line of the angle first.
Then rip a 2x4 or 2x6 for filler piece and tuck it in (glue it and screw it) between existing wall and new wall.
That's correct. The only reason to fill in that space is so you don't get a crack in the drywall.