Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

adding Insulation to finished basement

i recently moved into a house with a finished walk-out basement. It's a good job, that looks like it was done by a pro.

It's been cold down there all winter, but we just figured, it's a basement, there is no getting around that

recently we had some kids playing down there, and a during some rough housing they put a hole in the drywall. I was VERY suprised to find out that there is no insulation in the walls. I cut a hole low on another wall and confirmed that this wall isn't insulated either

the walls are framed with 2 x 4's and there is plastic barrier, but no insulation!

The basement has drop ceiling, so I am wondering if i can just blow in some insulation from above the dry wall ? I have never done any insulation this way, so have no idea if it will work or not without making a big mess. if anyone has other suggestions i'd love to hear them. I'd like to do something down there other than just crank up the electric baseboard ($$$$)

Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
i recently moved into a house with a finished walk-out basement. It's a good job, that looks like it was done by a pro.

It's been cold down there all winter, but we just figured, it's a basement, there is no getting around that

recently we had some kids playing down there, and a during some rough housing they put a hole in the drywall. I was VERY suprised to find out that there is no insulation in the walls. I cut a hole low on another wall and confirmed that this wall isn't insulated either

the walls are framed with 2 x 4's and there is plastic barrier, but no insulation!

The basement has drop ceiling, so I am wondering if i can just blow in some insulation from above the dry wall ? I have never done any insulation this way, so have no idea if it will work or not without making a big mess. if anyone has other suggestions i'd love to hear them. I'd like to do something down there other than just crank up the electric baseboard ($$$$)
yes, you can blow in insulation, but you may want to cut holes in the bottom of the sheetrock to assure that the insulation is actually getting all the way down

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

is something i can get anywhere? do depot and lowes sell the stuff,? rent the machine?

will this be a messy job? I have to do it, just wondering what i am in for
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote