DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

adding Insulation to finished basement

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mr Chips 
#1 ·
i recently moved into a house with a finished walk-out basement. It's a good job, that looks like it was done by a pro.

It's been cold down there all winter, but we just figured, it's a basement, there is no getting around that

recently we had some kids playing down there, and a during some rough housing they put a hole in the drywall. I was VERY suprised to find out that there is no insulation in the walls. I cut a hole low on another wall and confirmed that this wall isn't insulated either

the walls are framed with 2 x 4's and there is plastic barrier, but no insulation!

The basement has drop ceiling, so I am wondering if i can just blow in some insulation from above the dry wall ? I have never done any insulation this way, so have no idea if it will work or not without making a big mess. if anyone has other suggestions i'd love to hear them. I'd like to do something down there other than just crank up the electric baseboard ($$$$)

#2 ·
i recently moved into a house with a finished walk-out basement. It's a good job, that looks like it was done by a pro.

It's been cold down there all winter, but we just figured, it's a basement, there is no getting around that

recently we had some kids playing down there, and a during some rough housing they put a hole in the drywall. I was VERY suprised to find out that there is no insulation in the walls. I cut a hole low on another wall and confirmed that this wall isn't insulated either

the walls are framed with 2 x 4's and there is plastic barrier, but no insulation!

The basement has drop ceiling, so I am wondering if i can just blow in some insulation from above the dry wall ? I have never done any insulation this way, so have no idea if it will work or not without making a big mess. if anyone has other suggestions i'd love to hear them. I'd like to do something down there other than just crank up the electric baseboard ($$$$)
yes, you can blow in insulation, but you may want to cut holes in the bottom of the sheetrock to assure that the insulation is actually getting all the way down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.