Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Fixer-'til-broker

Share |

Adding french doors to Theatre?

The previous owner converted the garage into a bonus family room. There is carpet all throughout the room and it comes up over the transition step into the dining room about 10-12", and there is porcelain tile from there on. I want to put a prehung french door kit in this doorway.

Do I need to pull the carpet and put more tile down or can I just put the door casing right over the carpet?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

What does the opening measure, compare that to the Requirements for the door that you are looking at.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #3

Is this and exterior insulated door you're installing for sound reduction or a standard interior door? Are you putting in a wood saddle between the jambs or is the carpet staying put?
The door frame should sit on a hard surface like the subfloor. I would cut and peel back the carpet, install the door and cut out the area of the carpet the jambs occupy and reattach the carpet to the floor between the jambs.
Ron.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Fixer-'til-broker

These are exterior doors installed inside for sound deadening and to keep some of the little creatures pictured below out of mischief. This is going on top of the concrete step and the carpet removal won't be a problem.

The only problem now is that I have 72" doors on the way and the opening is 68". Is there a way to find out if a stud is load-bearing before I open the wall up, and can I just brace behind it and remove it when properly secured? I don't think I need a permit...
Attached Thumbnails
Adding french doors to Theatre?-bugdustinapt.jpg  
Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

If it is between the Garage and Bonus room, guaranteed it is a Load Bearing wall.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Fixer-'til-broker

Thanks. The garage is the bonus room.

I asked a contractor and he said to double- or triple-stud (for the doors) before removing and make sure the header is supported. Since the opening was modifed before, I may get lucky and not have to replace the header if it's long enough.

Geeze, for only 4" I could shave the (metal) doors and make it even easier by doing it the hard way...
Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #7

Even easier would be to order the 68" RO doors.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Fixer-'til-broker

Home Depot wouldn't fix my order, but one of the guys called me back and tried to help me out. Through the whole conversation I knew nothing would change. He had a great idea that if I wanted to wait a few more days they could get me the 68" version...but for $700-1200!

The cuts "should" be simple and as far as the stud finder can tell I should only have to remove the outer stud. I have no idea what the guy was thinking when he did this wall. I spoke to the previous owner and he said that is not what he wanted, and if you look close enough it's all crooked. Don't know how it passed inspection, but learning and fixing is my new thing. According to the contractor, the wall is not load-bearing. It's probably square and plumb in his eyes too.

Thanks for the help. Should be installed tomorrow. (crossing fingers and toes)

Last edited by DIYtestdummy; 01-25-2008 at 11:29 AM.
DIYtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #9

I hope the contractor is right about it not being load bearing. It could get real bad if he is wrong. Is the contractor doing the work or is he just telling you "oh just go ahead, it will be alright."

Is this a single story home? Do you have roof trusses (in your attic does it look like a bunch of large Ws through the open area making it hard to get around up there?) and do the ceiling joists run parallel with this wall or are they perpendicular to the wall and resting on it?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Fixer-'til-broker

Sorry, I should have given a better description.

Single-story, "territorial" model, brick and T-111 (is that correct?) siding where there's no brick. Slant roof. I could only confuse you more without pictures.

I'll get my father-in-law out after I open it up - He's a journeyman framer. I really don't trust too many people, and I trust myself as far as I can throw me, BUT I probably should have asked him first. I've got a pretty good idea of what it should look like, but better safe than sorry. The drywall is nothing but a pain in the butt to fix. The rest will be an adventure...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #11

Get your FIL out before you remove any wood. He'll take care of his daughter.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Fixer-'til-broker

Hee hee, yeah I told him he shoulda shown up earlier so he could tell me "DON'T DO THAT!"

HE said he didn't think it was load-bearing, but we just cut back enough of the drywall and removed some "trimmers." I was trying to be careful to not take too much dry wall out, but that just wasted time; I should have just bashed through it like FIL ended up doing (he went a little too far, but drywall/paint is easy to fix). Wife said "that old man showed you up!" I didn't want to break both sides, but we needed that extra 3/4".

I took pics, but had no time to finalize the disc. I still don't have internet at home. This was way easier than we thought it would be - hardest part was choosing the doorknob. It rained most of the weekend, so patching has been put on hold. I DIY'ed some trim, but I think I'll find some decorative trim instead.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
Fixer-'til-broker

One shot...
Attached Thumbnails
Adding french doors to Theatre?-dsc01856.jpg