Adding A Ceiling!? My Whole House Is Concrete! - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding a ceiling!? My whole house is concrete!

My ceilings and floors are concrete and pretty much every wall on my house is cinder block. The ceilings are flat but angled and have concrete beams (probably with metal beams inside) going across the the whole length of the roof at about 4 ft apart from each other.

I want to put up some 8 ft long, 5/16 in. thick planking instead of having the concrete ceiling and also insulate between the beams. I am planning on using blow in insulation. The beams only come down about 6 in. I could use sheets of foam but that is more expensive.

My question: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about this?

My plan was to run 2x4's across the whole room using construction adhesive and concrete nails (2 1/2 in. nails don't go in far enough so I am using 2 in.) but that didn't work well because the concrete breaks up too much. The nails don't do any good.

Another thing I started doing was nailing up 4 in. pieces of the 2x4s that I could screw the full length 2x4s onto. The concrete breaks apart too much for that too.

Advertisement

flipjarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete nails aren't going to work for this application.

My suggestion would be to use tapcon screws to secure your 2x4's. Be sure to get at least a couple inches of penetration into the concrete. You must use the correct size of masonry drill bit for the size of screw you get, and you will need a hammer drill to drill the holes. I'd also suggest getting the hex-head tapcons and not the phillips head ones...They're easier to put and won't strip out.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Concrete nails aren't going to work for this application.
I'd also suggest getting the hex-head tapcons and not the phillips head ones...They're easier to put and won't strip out.
Err... If you get the hex heads be sure to pick up a 1/4" impact socket. I've stripped three regular chrome Craftsman sockets putting in about two dozen tapcons. The problem is the hex head isn't very deep so if the socket slips at all it just goes spinning and rounds off the head AND socket. I've yet to find an impact socket this small.

That's my rant for the day.
Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 518

Reilley, are you using a 6 or 12 point socket? I've put in many tapcons and never had a problem stripping out the sockets, i've stripped a couple tapcon heads but never the socket. I always use a 6 point socket so it has more contact.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #5

depending on the ceiling maybe just build a whole new frame for new lighting insulation or whatever else you might need room for. if it is already like 8 ft. then don't use anchors like rawls because the concrete will crack. can it bear on the floor anywhere conveniently?
chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilley View Post
Err... If you get the hex heads be sure to pick up a 1/4" impact socket. I've stripped three regular chrome Craftsman sockets putting in about two dozen tapcons. The problem is the hex head isn't very deep so if the socket slips at all it just goes spinning and rounds off the head AND socket. I've yet to find an impact socket this small.

That's my rant for the day.
Try doing it with a phillips screwdriver! Not so easy.
A 12 point socket will strip the heads...Use a 6 point socket.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Try doing it with a phillips screwdriver! Not so easy.
A 12 point socket will strip the heads...Use a 6 point socket.
Yeah I figured it would be brutal, thus why I went with the hex heads. I can't remember the last time I used a 12 point socket.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I got tapcon screws (hex heads because I hate phillips head screws.) and will be getting a hammer drill from my father next time I see him. The screws came with a drill bit for pre drilling holes. I will still be using construction adhesive anyway. I'm taking no chances of this ceiling falling down on me :-).
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #9

Note the size of the bit and pick up a couple spares as you will burn through a few I'm sure. Hitting a piece of rebar will dull the bit real fast. Be sure to follow the directions in that the hole should be 1/4" deeper than the tapcon will penetrate and it must penetrate at least an inch into concrete to be effective. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #10

I got the longest ones tapcons. They are 3 1/2 in. (i think). So the tapcons should penetrate at least 2 in. I really need to purchase my own hammer drill. I'm sure I'll need it many times after this.

Thanks again for the advice.

Advertisement