Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Adding a bath and Kitchen in the game room

I have a game room which is close to 700 SQ ft and not being utilized effectively. Hence I would like to add a bath and a basic kitchen so that it can be rented out.

The game room has a seperate entrance from the east side through big glass door. It is attached to Primary kitchen of the house.

I have 2 spots to build a bathroom.

1) First propasl is in 7 X 4 area for which I don't need to build any walls.. However I am not sure whether I can really build a bathroom in 28 sq ft area. Any ideas ? I just want to build one shower (no bathtub) and one cummord and a sink..

2) Second proposal is to build a bathroom in 36 sq ft area. For which I need to build walls.

In either the case hot and cold water lines are not issue since I have my drier and washer room is close by. However the sewer line will be closer to my 2nd proposal bathroom rather than the first one.
Sewer line is 20 ft away from the 2nd proposal.

3) Also I would like to build a basic kitchen.. It will not have lot of cabients and granite counter top. It will have one surface top gas stove and wall fixed grill/microwave.. and of course one sink.. A smail cabinet to put some basic stuff.

Any ideas or thoughts on my approach ???

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What has been the feed-back from your local Building Department? What is the outline from them for your proposed duplex?

Be safe, Gary

Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
What has been the feed-back from your local Building Department? What is the outline from them for your proposed duplex?

Be safe, Gary
I did speak to them verbally once but not yet submitted the plan yet. Once I decide what would be the best option I will approach them for the permit. I am not expecting any major challenges from the building department.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I think you could put a minimal bath into 7x4 if the shower and toilet faced each other across the 7' dimension with a little sink between them, but probably not with the doors in the positions where you put them. You'd need to close off two of them and move the third.

If you put it in the 2nd location, then you could put all the plumbing into the wall between them, which will make things cheaper.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
I think you could put a minimal bath into 7x4 if the shower and toilet faced each other across the 7' dimension with a little sink between them, but probably not with the doors in the positions where you put them. You'd need to close off two of them and move the third.

If you put it in the 2nd location, then you could put all the plumbing into the wall between them, which will make things cheaper.
Thank you Pyper for your comments. The store room which is the first proposal for the bathrom is a two part area. If I put a bathroom in 7X4 area, I will be building the wall in between to continue to use the leftside area for storage. So two doors on the leftside will be attached to a store room. There is only one door on the right hand side where the bathroom would come, if decided.

I have a shower in my house which is a square shaped and it is 3 X3 ft size. So if I put the same shower in that 7 ft side, then I will have 4 ft leftout. In that 4 ft, I need to include sink and Toilet. If I want to have one foot space between each component, I don't get here. I guess it will be very congested. I will have one foot walkway space in the 4ft side to reach either sink, toilet and shower.. I guess this one foot space is okay to move around.. And probably door has to open outward rather than inward.

I am sure if I put the bath n 6X6 area, it would be lot of more convenient.. but I don't know how much more it cost than the 2nd proposal..
The only advantage with the 2nd is - the sewer line is closeby and don''t need to dig cement to reach sewerline.