Add Lights In Bathroom - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Add lights in bathroom

My new construction home has one light in the bathroom. It is in a 10' ceiling, bedroom wall straight up above.

I'd like to have some lights on either side of the mirror. How can I get some wiring to go that way? Don't want to bust out the wall up by the ceiling, though if that's the only way... well I'm not sure how I would go about doing that, either.

Puttster

Advertisement

puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Add lights in bathroom

That's a strange place to have put a light fixture.

Do you plan on using the same switch you have now to control the new light?
Are you getting rid of the light that's there now?
Is this a single story house, and do you have access to that area in the attic?

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Add lights in bathroom

If you're looking to ADD a light, then it sounds like a phone call to an electrician is in your future. You'll need to make some holes in order to pull the wire for fixturing and switching. You'll also need to check your circuitry to find out where to place this new fixture in terms of your electrical network. I know that when I did the investigations in my house, the simplest connection for the fixture I wanted to add was also the most dangerous as the circuit was already overloaded.

If you just want to abandon that light and move it to the mirror, then you'll need to make a hole in the wall, take the light out. Put in a j-box and make a pull to the new fixture. If you don't want a j-box in your ceiling then you'll have to make more holes and make a new run to the switch.

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 08-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Add lights in bathroom

Other option is to pick out a pendant type fixture and replace that can light. That way you won't have to touch the wiring except to change the fixture and you can have the bulb right next to the mirror.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Add lights in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's a strange place to have put a light fixture.

Do you plan on using the same switch you have now to control the new light?
Are you getting rid of the light that's there now?
Is this a single story house, and do you have access to that area in the attic?

Yeah in the morning it is like shaving on the light from a far-away star. As for the existing light I will probably do away with it since it is far enough out of sight no one will see my bad repair job. The upstairs bedroom wall sits atop the one you see.
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Add lights in bathroom

Wireless LED arrays are fairly new to the market but have decent kelvin temps and color rendering indexes. I just bought a fixture with an LED tube array and two LED spots on either side for over a bed headboard for reading. Runs on batteries. The tube in the middle and the two spots are on separate switches. Looks great. LED power draw is low but we shall see about battery life. The have similar fixtures for mirrors, framed art, etc. There are also things like sconces for mostly decorative applications. Just to give you an idea, this directional task lighting fixture runs on 3 "AAA" batteries.

Pulling wire for some hardwired vanity lights should not be a major problem. A track fixture of some kind might work but it looks like you have a small space. As mentioned, much will depend on how much is already on the that ceiling fixture circuit if that was what you plan to tap.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 08-17-2012 at 08:04 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote