DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Add ceiling to 2 story family room (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/add-ceiling-2-story-family-room-37472/)

jbeck22 02-02-2009 10:24 PM

Add ceiling to 2 story family room
 
Hi...1st post here...

I have a 2 story family room that I would like to add a ceiling to in order to make the room above into a bonus room. I have an attic above the 2nd floor now. I'm not sure if I need to add some columns on the 1st floor or not to help support the weight. I have attached some photos so that you can get an idea of layout of the room that I'm considering doing all of this to. Also take into consideration that my foyer is also 2 stories creating a catwalk like area upstairs... you can see this in the photos.

Thanks for the help with this...I REALLY REALLY want to get this done.

Photos:
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/jbeck22/House/

Scuba_Dave 02-02-2009 10:37 PM

You need to know the distance the floor joists would span
And what support beams/walls they can tie into

jbeck22 02-02-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 224040)
You need to know the distance the floor joists would span
And what support beams/walls they can tie into

you mean the existing floor joists right?

Scuba_Dave 02-02-2009 11:17 PM

No, you need to know the distance the new joists would span

jbeck22 02-02-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 224067)
No, you need to know the distance the new joists would span

I could figure that out by measuring the opening of the family room right...the width and length.

Scuba_Dave 02-02-2009 11:50 PM

Yes
If the floor joists will run to that railing area then you also need to know if the beam supporting that area is sized large enough to carry the additional load. If there is a wall under the railing area you may be OK

Ron6519 02-04-2009 04:15 AM

You need professional help with this. An architect or a structural engineer. This part of the job is not DIY.
Ron

jimbuchanan 07-10-2009 09:40 AM

Have you made any progress with your addition? I am thinking of doing the same thing to my family room which is very similar to yours. I would like to see some pictures if they are available. Also, what steps did you take to get it done?

Thanks

Scuba_Dave 07-10-2009 10:39 AM

Actually if the joists are sized right it is a DIY job
Many people do this & as long as there is proper support & everything is sized right there isn't a problem

I did all the design work on my 3 story addition
I had the beams & joists sized, lumber company sent sizing info out for an engineer review & stamp - for free
I have built the entire thing myself - going ABOVE what code & sizing required
It all depends upon the abilities of the person

If I was "just" installing a floor/ceiling joists as described I would size the jopist & install
My Inspector would not require an engineer stamp

jimbuchanan - start a new thread with what you want to do if you haven't already

poncho 07-19-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 299932)
Actually if the joists are sized right it is a DIY job
Many people do this & as long as there is proper support & everything is sized right there isn't a problem

I did all the design work on my 3 story addition
I had the beams & joists sized, lumber company sent sizing info out for an engineer review & stamp - for free
I have built the entire thing myself - going ABOVE what code & sizing required
It all depends upon the abilities of the person

If I was "just" installing a floor/ceiling joists as described I would size the jopist & install
My Inspector would not require an engineer stamp

jimbuchanan - start a new thread with what you want to do if you haven't already

I am needing some advice for a foyer enclosure, which is a similar idea but much smaller space. My foyer is about 10x8 ft. I want to enclose this to add extra room to second story. Could I use 2x10 or 2x12's and bolt them into the engineered floor trusses as the banding for the floor?

Ron6519 07-19-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho (Post 303849)
I am needing some advice for a foyer enclosure, which is a similar idea but much smaller space. My foyer is about 10x8 ft. I want to enclose this to add extra room to second story. Could I use 2x10 or 2x12's and bolt them into the engineered floor trusses as the banding for the floor?

No, you can't do that. You need to speak to a structual engineer /architect to see if it's even possible to add a second story with your current set up.
Ron

Scuba_Dave 07-19-2009 09:14 AM

If you already have an engineered support beam/joists that beam/joists were sized to carry a specific load. As Ron said you can't add to that load unless it is reviewed with the new load added. In my area I have 2 lumber companies that will do these calcs for free. In other areas you may need an engineer to review the sizing & stamp your plans
Many Towns will not approve such a permit unless it has been reviewed & approved/stamped by an Engineer

Start a new thread with the specifics of your setup if you want further review of your setup & plans. Post pics of the area & explain the support/engineered floor trusses/sizing & where they are located

poncho 07-19-2009 09:19 AM

Thanks for your reply. There are several homes in the same subdivision that have already done this same thing. I was wanting to do it myself instead of hiring it out. They all were done without any significant structural changes or problems. I just haven't done it myself and was trying to get advice on the matter.

poncho 07-19-2009 09:22 AM

Thanks scuba dave. I will give a lumber company a call in the area. It's a small area and other homes in same subdivision with same set up have done this. I just didn't want to pay someone to do something I can do. Thanks for the advice.

framer53 07-19-2009 10:32 AM

You do know there is more involved than the size of the joists and whether you structure can handle, right?

For example, there are codes about 2nd floor window height from the floor. But you knew that right?
You and others have been given the best advice, which is to hire an engeneer or architect to determine, if it is possible with existing structure, and what obstaqcles you will run across.
Scuba.... has built a 3 story addition, which is a long way from remodeling an actual structure. POrofessional advice at this point in the project can and will provide assurances that you are doing it right!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.