Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Share |

about to frame my basement

I have a few concerns... My basement is completely underground. I have poured concrete walls. The previous owner painted the concrete walls. I'm about to frame over them. Should I try to remove the paint?

WAINSWURLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #2

I would say no.

How are you planning on framing? There is a lot of info in the INSULATION section.

New thinking is XPS glued to walls and stick frame in front of that.

Where are you located?

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAINSWURLD View Post
I have a few concerns... My basement is completely underground. I have poured concrete walls. The previous owner painted the concrete walls. I'm about to frame over them. Should I try to remove the paint?
Why would you?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

The short answer is this: By painting the interior wall, you've created a "form" of water-resistance or-if you will- blockage. This superficially protects the inside from being wet but if the exterior isn't protected/waterproofed, you can still experience water damage to your walls...

I was told by a contractor (and i've heard on DIY) that concrete- just like block or brick, while solid and dense- is pourous. If you haven't waterproofed the outside walls of your foundation, water will find the path of least resistance (a pourous wall) a come thru, hence the reason for vapor barriers. Provided you have a sump pump system, you reduce the amount of water build-up and pressure around your foundation and footers. If you don't, that water sits and builds pressure until something gives way. I hope I wasn't too wordy but got the point across.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

That all sounds somewhat correct.

I believe the paint is already in the pores and would be hard to remove from the pores.

Make sure your drainage is spot on outside (running away from the house), do not put up any vapor barriers (let whatever seeps through breath to the inside), and READ READ READ all the posts on framing a basement that have been started in the last couple months.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

Thanks. I'm new to the site so still getting familiar. Will check out threads though...
Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #7

I just went through what your about to do. I moved in my house a year ago. In Dec, I started the framing. I left the old paint on, 2 reasons scraping it off was a waste of time, and the repainting it would seal up the wall and trap moisture. I had no issues so I would say nope
Remod11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #8

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #9

I'd remove as much as possible to let any moisture come through all over rather than in a concentrated area (as slab/wall joint). Foam board will allow moisture through in a controlled manner, from "worst to best": http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

Gary