Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

? about 70's cape and how to open rooms

My hubby and I purchased a 1970 Cape 1600 sgf. We love the home. However the rooms are all chooped up. We have 2 livingrooms and narrow kitch and diningroom. We would like to open up but the stairwell goes right in the moddle of the house. We would like to have 1 large living room. We have just had twins so space is desperatly needed. I am so new to all of the home improvements so I thought i would come and ask some of the experts here. I have been reading your site for awhile, so I thiught i would join. You all seem so knowledgable.
I was wondering how we could open our rooms. Would it cost much to just knock all the walls out and redo the entire floor plan? Its a 2 story so just not sure. Also who could I call to help me make a new floor plan utilizing the space I have?
Thanks bunches for your help:-)

angelonbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

You've got the wrong style house for an open floor plan, but it can be done. If I'm not mistaken, Capes use a considerable number of load bearing walls and removing walls is not something you want to do without consulting an engineer or a building professional. There is definitely work that can be done and done yourself if you feel so inclined, but you need to verify your plans w/ a pro first. Now, if you want to just let someone else handle it all and work w/ you to come up w/ a great new plan and execute it, it sounds like you should just find yourself a good contractor and go from there.

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

This is some very vague advice, but maybe it will help. If the stairs come straight down, maybe you could build a landing a few steps up and turn them 90 degrees a few steps up, then they will not be right in the middlde of the house, and you could rearrange the space they were taking up.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks so much for the advice its very helpful!!!
angelonbreak is offline   Reply With Quote