DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   $500 to cosmetically redo a room reasonable? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/500-cosmetically-redo-room-reasonable-126385/)

langless28 12-12-2011 10:49 AM

$500 to cosmetically redo a room reasonable?
 
do you think $500 (roughly) a room is a good price? this is a "normal sized room, you can fit a bed, dresser, desk conformably and not be crowed"

this would entail primer and ceiling and wall paint. new base trim, crown molding and new door trim, as well as a new door (hollow core wood type)

my father is a kitchen designer and retired contractor, he build the i grew up in as well as a newer one before i went to college.

he came over to try and give me an idea of costs for things i wanted done around my house and i feel like good quality paint and new doors and trim can really add value to a house. trying to justify that high cost to my girlfriend (who's mentally is just paint everything; even stained clam shell trim) is the part i am struggling with.

i know its hard to talk price because it really depends on a number of factors such as location, size of room etc.

Bud Cline 12-12-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

i know its hard to talk price because it really depends on a number of factors such as location, size of room etc.
Well then...
If you are the product of a contractor father and you say you have been to college then why is it you don't know you should be furnishing us with some dimensions of this room you want to redo?

Who is actually going to do the work (labor).

I personally think $500 is a bargain.

langless28 12-12-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Cline (Post 791990)
Well then...
If you are the product of a contractor father and you say you have been to college then why is it you don't know you should be furnishing us with some dimensions of this room you want to redo?

Who is actually going to do the work (labor).

I personally think $500 is a bargain.

tuche, this is more of a brain fart i wanted to get down on a forum before i get distracted by something else. lets say the room is 10'x15'.

What have I done 12-12-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by langless28 (Post 791995)
tuche, this is more of a brain fart i wanted to get down on a forum before i get distracted by something else. lets say the room is 10'x15'.

Ok "The room is 10'x15' " :whistling2:

pyper 12-12-2011 12:58 PM

I think I spent more than $200 for the moulding to do a smaller room, and I only have crown on the side with the cabinets, but there were two large door openings.

So I could see $500 for materials for what you're describing. I wasn't sure from your question if $500 was the materials cost, or if someone was quoting you $500 to do the whole job.

Ron6519 12-12-2011 03:47 PM

I don't follow the logic of this project. Why would you change the molding in one room? Or will this be a room by room upgrade?

langless28 12-13-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519 (Post 792214)
I don't follow the logic of this project. Why would you change the molding in one room? Or will this be a room by room upgrade?

room by room, whenever we can save up to do a whole room it gets done.

josall 12-13-2011 03:15 PM

Decide which room you want to re-do take a pc. of paper and write down how much trim, crown moulding, door size and the square footage of your walls and ceiling (width in feet x height in feet = square footage of each wall). Then get in your car and drive to the lumer store and price each item that you wrote down, then total up all items and you will have your answer. Get a new girlfriend....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved