Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Share |

4' wide pocket door?

I've got a room that is used as a living room and guest room. The entryway to this room is 4' wide and I'd like to install a pocket door that could be closed when it's in guest room mode. It's not feasible to do 2' on each side, so it looks like it would have to be a 4' door. I've done a couple of 28" pocket door installations on our bathrooms, so i think I could manage this one.

The problem is that I don't see any 4' wide interior doors being sold. Do such doors exist? If so, where could I find one? If not, would it be possible to make one? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, since it'll be open (and therefore hidden in the pocket) 98% of the time. Finally,, it would be nice if the door is reasonably sound-proof. Thanks.

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #2

4' wide pocket door?

No such thing as a sound proof pocket door. About the best you could hope for is a soild wood 1-3/4 thick one to help deaden the sound.
Widest one I could find it 42" wide.
Your going to have open up the whole wall any way to add a header so how about just reframing to a smaller width so you do not have to order a custom door.
http://www.interiordoors.com/pocket.html

Last edited by joecaption; 01-24-2012 at 10:54 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Retired carpenter

4' wide pocket door?

I don't know if they even make the hardware for a 48" pocket door.

Pocket doors are real ugly anyways, not worth the trouble cutting the wall another 4 feet and installing an 8' header, when you can install French doors without any construction work.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

4' wide pocket door?

If you have room enough to slide 48" back into one side, since you have to tear out a lot anyway for the header, can't you just slide the whole door opening over 24", and then put in two 24" pocket doors? One on each side.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

4' wide pocket door?

In my area, a door in a non-loadbearing wall doesn't require a header. Just proper framing of the opening, which you likely already have since you have a hole in the wall. Have you looked into or considered True Divided lite pine interior bi-hinge doors??? you can get them with obscured glass so that privacy isn't an issue when closed. They also look nice opened fully. If you have the space on each side of the opening to open the doors, it is a considerable option.
AgBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

4' wide pocket door?

Does it have to be inside the wall. Modified barn doors are trendy now and probably a lot easier to install.

I'm sure you could find other hardware suppliers.

~note~ Not endorsing this site, just using it as an example.

http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/har...age=sliding-hw
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

4' wide pocket door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
I've got a room that is used as a living room and guest room. The entryway to this room is 4' wide and I'd like to install a pocket door that could be closed when it's in guest room mode. It's not feasible to do 2' on each side, so it looks like it would have to be a 4' door. I've done a couple of 28" pocket door installations on our bathrooms, so i think I could manage this one.

The problem is that I don't see any 4' wide interior doors being sold. Do such doors exist? If so, where could I find one? If not, would it be possible to make one? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, since it'll be open (and therefore hidden in the pocket) 98% of the time. Finally,, it would be nice if the door is reasonably sound-proof. Thanks.
Check out Johnson Hardware, never dealt with them just did a quick search. looks like they have different series of rail available to accept up to a 300# door.
http://jhusa.net/100pdbp.aspx

As for sound proofing or sound deadening, Im planning on building my own door but in my installation it will be hinged. Im going to rip a couple 2x4's, frame up the perimiter and add a web or 2 horizontal for support for my door knob. Then I plan on filling the "core" by laminating (2) 1/2" sheetrock and (1) 5/8" sheets. Then skin over it with 1/8" oak or hardboard. In my case I am going for the added benifit of a gypsum core for the fire door aspect.

Your going to have sound transfer either way, either thru the open doorway if its open, or the other half thru the framing wll essentially be just the 2 layers of drywall. You could however fill in the spaces between the 1/2"OSB "studs" with more 1/2" drywall pieces so as not to interfere with the pocket opening and have 1" of gypsum on each side. Does this make sense?
crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
JOATMON

4' wide pocket door?

I agree with the idea of using an exterior sliding barn door. It is an option we are looking at.

Another option....Bi-fold doors?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

4' wide pocket door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I agree with the idea of using an exterior sliding barn door. It is an option we are looking at.

Another option....Bi-fold doors?
Thanks for all of the info and suggestions.

As for Johnson Hardware, I have used their pocket doors previously. It's very high quality stuff. In fact, I have a leftover set of rollers, and I'd just need to buy the track, which would only cost me about $100. So that's part of the reason I've been focused on a pocket door.

I hadn't thought about moving the door over and putting in a pair of 2' doors. Space is tight in this house, and that would interfere with the place where we have our desk, but we might be able to work around that. Definitely something to consider.

As for the inside barn door... I had considered that, but the hardware seems to be really expensive compared to pocket doors. It also seems to me that any reasonable sound-proofing would be far more difficult, if not impossible.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm undecided, but still leaning towards a 4' door, if only I could find such a thing. I had considered building one, and I might think about the feasibility of that a bit more.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #10

4' wide pocket door?

have you looked at these?

http://www.inventiveusa.com/home.html
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #11

4' wide pocket door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
have you looked at these?

http://www.inventiveusa.com/home.html
Very interesting concept, have you ever used one?
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #12

4' wide pocket door?

http://johnsonhardware.com/111pd.htm

You can use hardware like this and a single 4' door or 2 2' doors that both slide the same way, could even connect the two doors together so slide as one.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
bpm

4' wide pocket door?

Are you doing a pocket door because you want to save the space of standard door swinging in or out of the room? If that's not an issue, you could close the existing opening down a bit and just install a standard door. It would likely be a lot easier and wouldn't require you to open up the wall to do the framing for a pocket door.
bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #14

4' wide pocket door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
http://johnsonhardware.com/111pd.htm

You can use hardware like this and a single 4' door or 2 2' doors that both slide the same way, could even connect the two doors together so slide as one.
Now that's a thought. It would be pretty easy to connect a pair of 2' wide doors together and have them pull as one. That might be just what the doctor ordered.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #15

4' wide pocket door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm View Post
Are you doing a pocket door because you want to save the space of standard door swinging in or out of the room? If that's not an issue, you could close the existing opening down a bit and just install a standard door. It would likely be a lot easier and wouldn't require you to open up the wall to do the framing for a pocket door.
It's a space issue. We already have pocket doors on both of the bathrooms for the same reason. In addition to this 4' entryway that currently under consideration, there's one more spot where I'll eventually put another pocket door (or maybe a barn door for that one). They make a big difference in tight spaces.