Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

Share |

2nd floor layout

This house is ideally for resale but could quite possibly end up being a rental for a while first. I am working on laying out the 2nd floor and having difficulty prioritizing between bathroom, bedroom size, and closet needs. Have roughly 880 sq/ft in a 20x45 layout with part of that taken up by two staircases.

-The Realtor I talked to said a huge en-suite even if it meant dropping from 3 bedroom to 2 bedroom. I don't really agree with this thinking.
-Two friends (who are parents of kids) I spoke to said they would much rather prefer a larger shared full bathroom and a bigger closet vs a private master bathroom.
-The space gives preference for a larger galley bathroom and a shower would look significantly better then a tub. But many people I ask seem aghast at not having a tub even though few seem to ever use it.

All of this has just left me indecisive. I personally don't understand the need of a master suite/bath which makes it even harder to decide.

There are a few options I have managed to come up with.
1. 11x14 master bed with roughly 40 sq/ft closet space
double basin galley shared bath, would fit tub or shower but not both
11x12 bed #2
9x12 bed #3
2. 11x14 master bed with roughly 10 sq/ft closet space
full master bath with shower stall, roughly 40sq/ft, single basin sink
standard 5x8 full shared bath with tub, single basin sink
10x10 bed #2
9x12 bed #3
3. 11x14 master bed with roughly 30 sq/ft closet space
half master bath
double basin galley shared bath, would fit tub or shower but not both
10x12 bed #2
9x12 bed #3

House has a 880 sq/ft full basement, 9' ceilings, so a huge amount of storage space in the bedroom closets for non-clothes related belongings is not required.

ccbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

2nd floor layout

I think all of them are very small bed rooms. 2 stairs do not help. I'd keep one in center and gain floor space.
One bath can work with pocket doors and master bed separated by walk through closet.
Tub is important for washing babies. Most buyers imagine soaking in tub, although not too many actually do. But tub is doing the "normal".
Your almost 900 square isn't small. I'm wondering why your rooms are that small. Layout drawn with a ruler would really help.

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote