1.75" Gap At The Bottom Of A French Door - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

1.75" gap at the bottom of a French door

I recently put in tiles and got a 5' wide french door hung. The door is going from a hallway to an drop down enclosed patio addition. I was out for the holidays, and the work was done by a friend of a friend, when I got back, the bottom of the doors were 1 3/4 inch off the newly installed tile. The tiles goes all the way to the edge with a bullnose and covers the drop down as well. The job was not expensive ($560), and I told him I wanted to use a wooden threshold instead of the built in aluminum for the door. I asked him if we could redo the door lowering, but was told it was be a lot more work, and difficult to get right as the door was a pain to put in in the first place. He recommended that I just use a 1 1/2" tall threshold, perhaps stacking one on top of another. Is that way too tall for a normal threshold and what else can I do to handle this gap? There can't be too much gap as the enclosed patio is not insulated very well, and I'll need to bolt the bottom of free side down as well.

Thanks,

Advertisement

flyingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

Did you install an interior door here?
Big mistake. The money you will waste on heating/cooling could have been used to purchase the right exterior door.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

It is an exterior door. I didn't like the aluminum threshold, so I had planned to install a hardwood threshold myself.

Last edited by flyingmachine; 01-10-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

Hope you hired a good carpenter. Modifying a door like that and expecting it to function well can be tricky. The gap is what it is. The other threshold was obviously that size anyway. He can start with a piece of 1x oak and add the threshold on top of that. Getting a good fit for the weatherstrip is very important.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #5

Thanks, I will probably end up doing the threshold myself. Maybe just add the lowest base to this that will still seal well against the bottom: http://www.lowes.com/pd_61234-81-118...B72&facetInfo=