Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

1/2 Bath Remodel - Need Advice

Hello Everyone,

Spent the weekend gutting my Master 1/2 bathroom. So far, it's just a normal removal of the old and finding things in the walls. Especially the news paper that let's you know when the last owners remodeled.

I guess back in the 60's, they didn't have concrete backer board. From the pictures below, they put down roofing paper, then chicken wire and poured thinset all over the floor. Some spots were 1 1/2" thick.

But I have a question about the toilet plumbing. In one of the pictures, you can see the cast iron plumbing is quite high above the subfloor. I'm going to remove the subfloor and add a new piece. I think the toilet leaked somewhere, sometime. The floor joists are in great condition. After I put the new subfloor in, where should the finished floor be in comparison to the toilet plumbing. Should it be flush to the top of the cast iron or should it be 1/4", 1/2" below the cast iron?? I have space to fill because of the very thick thinset mortor job. I will be using 6" x 6" tiles.

Also, I do have a question about installing the new sub floor around the cast iron piping for the toilet. Can I get by with just making a hole a little bigger than the cast iron flange, or do I need to keep it tight to the cast iron?? One way I can lay the subfloor with one piece or I will need to lay the subfloor in 2 pieces. Need advice on this part.

I'm going to have a plumber come out and do some work. I need the inlet water lines to the vanity have shut-off valves put on. Need to remove the old lead pipe from the vanity and put in PVC. Need to replace the shut-off valve for the toilet water.

Thanks, Allen

[img=http://img22.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_53760_IMGP0716.JPG][img=http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_53772_IMGP0717.JPG][img=http://img106.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_53779_IMGP0720.JPG][img=http://img11.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_53785_IMGP0721.JPG]
[img=http://img23.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_53790_IMGP0722.JPG]

allen1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
IHI

Rewards Points: 75

Quite the project ya got there Al

99% of the bathroom remodels we perform we do just as your doing, strip it all down to the bare bones so you know exactly what you have to work with and repair for a permanent job when your done, so your doing this the right way!!! Good Job.

As far as the plumbing and floors, when the walls are stripped we replace all drainage pipes going into the main stack, depending on age of your home I can almost promise that sink drain line is pretty plugged up, we've had some with only enough room for maybe a pencil to poke through. For no more than it takes/costs it's a no brainer to just install some new PVC, it'll drain really fast and make the new connections alot easier with less chance of leaking...tieing into old pipes can be challenging.

The toilet drain, we always remove the subfloor since 99% of the time there is water damage as you found out, we take and either remove the cast pipe out of the hub on the stack and install new pvc or we'll take and cut the cast iron branch coming out of the main stack, install a rubber adapter and then run new pvc off that and upto the new toilet flange location. You can leave the pvc pipe coming up long and just cap it off for now to prevent sewer gasses from getting in your home, install your sister boards on the joists and lay down the new subfloor.

After your complete flooring job is done, go back and cut the pvc pipe flush with the finish floor and install the new toliet flange so it sits on top of the finished floor. You will need a flange that will fit into the new section of drain pipe for the toilet to make this easier.

Any other questions, just hollar and hopefully that takes care of your flooring/plumbing questions.

Josh

Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Allen,
Josh says it all. I would only add to try and install the sub floor in one piece if your going to tile. Just find the center of the toilet drain and cut the hole out prior to setting it in place.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #4

Hello Everyone,

I had the plumber come over yesterday and give me a quote on the stuff that IHI said. I need to have (3) new shut-off valves installed. The C/H water pipes to the sink don't have shut-off valves and the shut-off valve going to the toilet is leaking and needs replacing. The plumber is going to replace the cast iron going to the toilet with PVC. The drainage line from the sink to the stack is lead and is going to be replaced with PVC.

I didn't get the new floor close enough to the stack, so I will need to cut out part of the new floor around the cast iron stack. I think I will wait until he gets his part done before I put the new part of the floor down. So I get the floor as close as he needs it to be.

He will be out Friday to take care of that, and then the fun begins w/ drywall and tape/mud.

Thanks, Allen
allen1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

The original floor was not thick thin-set mortar, it was a full "mud" job with wire reinforcing. No better tile base is possible in my opinion. It's still doing fine in my house after 112 years.
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #6

When the walls are stripped we replace all drainage pipes going into the main stack, depending on age of your home I can almost promise that sink drain line is pretty plugged up, we've had some with only enough room for maybe a pencil to poke through. For no more than it takes/costs it's a no brainer to just install some new PVC, it'll drain really fast and make the new connections alot easier with less chance of leaking...tieing into old pipes can be challenging. Well i am in the middle of bathroom remodeling too. And I am desperatly looking for more informationr regarding this topic, so If you could post some website that help a lot....please don't post this website remodel-bathrooms.com as I already know about it. thanks in advance

kathy

links is offline   Reply With Quote