Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

would you tear out this closet?

I'm getting ready to install a wide pine plank floor in a vacation cabin in NH. One question I've been considering is tearing out a closet to make the main family room a little larger. The closet is only 2' deep and I would leave somewhere between 18 and 30" of the wall to the left of the fireplace. the width of the room is 13' and removing the closet would make it 15' on that wall.

I've owned the cabin for 4 years and we have not really used the closet for much of anything. Still have the same stuff in there that was there when we bought the place. (board games and such)

Obviously I need to make this decision before installing the wide plank pine floor.
thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
would you tear out this closet?-img00056-20110313-1258.jpg   would you tear out this closet?-img00057-20110313-1314.jpg  

mchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Tear it out and make something more useful and visually apealing. Maybe a builtin bookshelf? Serving bar? Counter? or just leave it open.

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

It isn't going to help with the overall increase in sq footage, but as Beerdog say, it can be re-utilized better based on your life style.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #4

I'd leave it alone. I doubt the sloped ceiling boards continue under the closet wall. Or the knee wall material extends in to the closet. Are the finish face stones of the fireplace in the closet, or just block showing? How about the flat soffit ceiling, extend in to the closet? May look like you removed a closet if so.........

Gary
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #5

I agree with GBR, I think you will make a total mess trying to remove the closet. The patch work required to make it looks like the closet wasn't there is going to be a huge effort. Not to mention the lack of storage space. I would personally leave it alone, it looks like a nice room already to me!

Looking at the pictures again, it is possible that the walkway/loft above the closet is bearing on that closet wall. It probably isn't, but that is something to take in to account if you decide to remove the closet.

Last edited by rubberhead; 03-13-2011 at 10:05 PM.
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

Off the wall thinking here so don't mind me but I would be inclined to remove the doorway, frome a new sheet of panelling to blend in with the rest of the wall. Even go so far as to hang a large picture on the old wall with the frame covering part of the new paneling to give it a solid look and having a hidden storage area for things like firearms or other gear/tools you may not want to take but do not want unsecured.
Satanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

thanks for all the feedback! the ceiling boards do in fact extend all the way though the closet. But you are correct that the vertical pine boards on the knee wall do not extend. I have a pretty good supply of the panelling that I saved from other areas of the cabin that I have remodeled. I can reuse some of the boards to continue the knee wall, but no doubt will have to use some new material as well.

At first I was planning to do built in cabinets with a small counter there, but the more I think about it, I think I would keep it open with some built in bookshelves up top. I would like to store firewood (hopefully a weekend supply) around the new corner created by removing that portion of the wall next to the fireplace. The fireplace brick does not wrap around, just sloppy looking brickwork. I'd leave at least 18 to 30" of that wall in place.
There are stairs that go up and land on the loft above the closet and the last step does encroach partially into the space. I'm pretty sure that wall is not structural. The joists are 2x3 and 36" apart with horizontal blocking used for attaching the vertical pine panelling. Where those stairs encroach on the space will probably dictate how much of the wall I leave in place.

My only real hesitation to tearing it out is creating an unpleasing room shape. There is no lack of storage. The guys that built this place utilized every cubic inch of storage space throughout.
mchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #8

Personally,
i would leave it alone.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #9

I think I'd keep the parts of the room that are present, but convert the closet to a bar

Some cabinet doors on the bottom, and some shelves above, maybe with a mirror and lights. And a bottle of nice scotch. mmmm.

And then you could make a secret compartment in the corner. I always wanted a secret compartment.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

Secret compartments are SWEET. You keep a really good bottle of scotch in it.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Licensed Pro

What is your budget?
What is your timeframe?
Are you capable of doing a built in?
kcremodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #12

Make it into a wet bar!
tpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #13

you are not going to gain enough floor space to make it worth removing the closet, definitely better ways to spend time and money.
do you have a TV at the place? a stereo system? turn the opening into an entertainment center. or, as has already been suggested...a bar, wet or dry.

better still... make it into a large wood box for your stove.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote