Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

Working with twisted PT lumber

I am preparing to place a couple of pieces of 2"x10" pressure-treated pieces of wood along my deck as a skirt. Two problems. The first is where the two pieces meet is at an odd angle. That's normally not a big deal, but the second problem is the pieces of wood I have are rather twisted after I let them sit outside for a bit to weather.

So normally with two nice, straight pieces of wood I could "dry fit" them to the side of the deck, mark the angles where they cross, and then take them down to easily cut with a miter saw. The only way to do it now is I have to clamp them uber-tight to the deck, mark my lines, and then cut them while they are still clamped tight to the deck.

Any suggestions on a cleaner way to do this? Or should I bite the bullet and go buy new, flat pieces of lumber? I'd rather save the money and use it on more useful things. Like lottery tickets.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Mod

Quote:
Any suggestions on a cleaner way to do this? Or should I bite the bullet and go buy new, flat pieces of lumber? I'd rather save the money and use it on more useful things. Like lottery tickets.

You just learned something about “weathering” treated lumber.

Hopefully you can find something else to do with those boards. Maybe in the garden or something.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post
I am preparing to place a couple of pieces of 2"x10" pressure-treated pieces of wood along my deck as a skirt. Two problems. The first is where the two pieces meet is at an odd angle. That's normally not a big deal, but the second problem is the pieces of wood I have are rather twisted after I let them sit outside for a bit to weather.

So normally with two nice, straight pieces of wood I could "dry fit" them to the side of the deck, mark the angles where they cross, and then take them down to easily cut with a miter saw. The only way to do it now is I have to clamp them uber-tight to the deck, mark my lines, and then cut them while they are still clamped tight to the deck.

Once it's twisted like that you're done. It will get worse if try to clamp/cut and nail. You have to buy new.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Whenever I need to use PT lumber I buy it the day I'm going to use it. Then I speed home without stopping at stop lights and nail it in fast before it springs into a pretzel. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little. But it does twist fast as it dries.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote