Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,084

workbench

I have some hardwood, maple I believe, locker benches from a school renovation, and am thinking of using some of them to build a woodworking/ layout bench. Or possibly just a bench top that I would lay on horses as needed, as I already have three 8' benches and one 6' bench, but these planks keep begging to be put to use, and I can already envision it with some rows of holes for dogs, a wood vise or two, and some layout lines. Anyway, each plank is about 9-1/2" wide, and it looks like they'll ebd up being about 9" by the time I rip the beveled corners off. So, the question is, what's the best way to secure 4 of them together to make a solid one piece top? I do have some perfectly straight 2x6 clear maple planks, with which I could simply make cleats for the bottom. And, along with something like that, I assume that I would want to either dowel them, or dado the edges, and rip an industrial strength biscuit. I had also considered dadoing a groove across the bottoms, and setting a threaded rod in there to draw them together, but not sure that would have a lot of added value. And, as for glue, Gorilla Glue? Well, anyway, I'm just starting to kick some thoughts around, and may not get to it real soon, but would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or suggestions that anyone might have.

Last edited by DexterII; 04-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

workbench

If you have a router, and a glue joint bit, you could work the edges with the router and than glue them together.

Very strong and nice joint. You can biscuit them too but you don't have as nice a joint. If that matters to you?

Mm

Mmfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

workbench

I like dowels, the grain runs at right angle to the joint. A dowel jig centers the dowels in the edge for a perfect joint. I think they are around $15 -$20.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote