Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Share |

Wood Storm Windows

I have an old Craftsman Bungalow built in 1915. It currently has a mix of a few aluminum storm windows, a few wood storm windows (original to house) and then lots of no storm windows.

Since none of my windows are stock sizes and due to the fact I love the look of the wood storms currently on the house. I'm planning on building new storms for the rest of the house.

Last year I built a wood screen door for an odd sized upstairs deck, but I can't recall what lumber I used. I'm thinking I special ordered some 2 x doug fir material from a local mill through Lowes. However, we recently have had a Medards open up in town and looking through their website, they seem to carry 2x Doug Fir in stock for a much lesser price.

The window's will be devided into two sections, upper and lower, I plan to install fixed glass in the top section and screen in the lower, then rabbit the inside lower frame to accept a removable glass panel.

My question is douglas fir the best choice for this and would construction grade lumber milled to my dimensions be appropriate? They also seem to have a good selection of cedar as well as a long list of hardwood lumber. The fiinished product will be painted.

Thanks for any input!

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #2

Wood Storm Windows

Cedar or redwood are more rot resistant and pricey, but fir is OK for that project. Seal all edges with a good paint/sealer.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

Wood Storm Windows

You want to use a kiln dried wood, whatever species you decide upon.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote