Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #76
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 347
Rewards Points: 250
Default

wood slab for kitchen island


I finally decided to declare victory. Then I put the slab in its intended countertop position only to discover it's just too massive. Although I'd measured it all out carefully, it looked a lot different than I'd expected. The kitchen is small and the slab is large---not an ideal combination.

So, I've decided to make a table out of it, but it's going to be a while before I get around to constructing the legs. Eventually, we'll use the table on our deck, which gets quite a bit of rain, on rare occasion a light dusting of snow (it never stays for more than a few hours), and just a little sun. I think it should hold up well.

A side benefit is that the slab looks great outdoors. Those minor blemishes that annoyed me so much indoors are completely unnoticeable outside.

I've included a few final photos (at least for now). Btw, that's me in the centerfold pose, and I'm a little over 6' tall.
Attached Thumbnails
wood slab for kitchen island-p7190009.jpg   wood slab for kitchen island-p7190011.jpg   wood slab for kitchen island-p7190008.jpg  

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #77
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,290
Rewards Points: 2,116
Default

wood slab for kitchen island


After all that work, it's too bad it wouldn't look right in the kitchen. But it will make a beautiful table on your deck.

I hope you'll continue this thread when you start making the legs for the table. It's been very interesting so far.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #78
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

wood slab for kitchen island


That is a nice slab of wood
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #79
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

wood slab for kitchen island


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
I finally decided to declare victory. Then I put the slab in its intended countertop position only to discover it's just too massive. Although I'd measured it all out carefully, it looked a lot different than I'd expected. The kitchen is small and the slab is large---not an ideal combination.

So, I've decided to make a table out of it, but it's going to be a while before I get around to constructing the legs. Eventually, we'll use the table on our deck, which gets quite a bit of rain, on rare occasion a light dusting of snow (it never stays for more than a few hours), and just a little sun. I think it should hold up well.

A side benefit is that the slab looks great outdoors. Those minor blemishes that annoyed me so much indoors are completely unnoticeable outside.

I've included a few final photos (at least for now). Btw, that's me in the centerfold pose, and I'm a little over 6' tall.
Well, a couple of things come to mind here...have you spoken with Hugh Hefner about a photo shoot?

And while you're waiting to build the legs for the table get a nice soft foamie and you've got somewhere else to relax.

I don't know what sort of legs you will use, but if you remember I mentioned that I was doing a far smaller and much less significant table than yours awhile ago - well, it's coming along OK now.

I'm using arbutus for the legs and have finished the varnishing just this morning on them.

I don't know how to put links in properly here, but my thread with all this stuff is at http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...building-34958
The table legs and whatnot start on page 112, and there is a half decent pic of the top at post #1754.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #80
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 347
Rewards Points: 250
Default

wood slab for kitchen island


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
Well, a couple of things come to mind here...have you spoken with Hugh Hefner about a photo shoot?

And while you're waiting to build the legs for the table get a nice soft foamie and you've got somewhere else to relax.

I don't know what sort of legs you will use, but if you remember I mentioned that I was doing a far smaller and much less significant table than yours awhile ago - well, it's coming along OK now.

I'm using arbutus for the legs and have finished the varnishing just this morning on them.

I don't know how to put links in properly here, but my thread with all this stuff is at http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...building-34958
The table legs and whatnot start on page 112, and there is a half decent pic of the top at post #1754.
I skimmed thru some of your postings and you've got an amazing project going there. What an awesome place to live. But the real question is, how's the fishing?

I've been scouting around for some potential legs, and there's lots of good looking stuff from downed trees along the roadsides and in firewood piles. So, no shortage of raw material, just a shortage of time and desire (at the moment).

As for Hugh Hefner, I think I'll probably have to wait until they start having centerfolds in woodworking magazines...
Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #81
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

wood slab for kitchen island


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
I skimmed thru some of your postings and you've got an amazing project going there. What an awesome place to live. But the real question is, how's the fishing?

I've been scouting around for some potential legs, and there's lots of good looking stuff from downed trees along the roadsides and in firewood piles. So, no shortage of raw material, just a shortage of time and desire (at the moment).

As for Hugh Hefner, I think I'll probably have to wait until they start having centerfolds in woodworking magazines...

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faux Wood Tile Over Concrete Slab Oswald Flooring 4 08-05-2009 03:42 PM
Pulled up carpet to put in wood flooring and found 2' plumbing hole in slab. Nightsky Plumbing 1 07-04-2009 07:44 AM
Help!: 4" concrete over 2' dirt over 7/8 wood planking! agent99 Flooring 4 04-28-2009 08:21 AM
prepping old wood for painting newb questions afabco Painting 19 08-07-2008 11:19 AM
Installing an island on floating engineered wood floor funktional Flooring 11 03-14-2008 06:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.