Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #1

Share |

Wood Glue Issue

I have a slight problem and I'm looking for the advice of people more experienced than me in carpentry and such.

I am on my high school's Science Olympiad team, and one of the events I have is called Boomilever, where you have to design a boom that mounts to a wall that holds as much weight as possible, up to 15kg, out of balsa wood, no thicker than 1/4". There are other regulations, too, such as the point of loading weight must be at least 40cm from the mounting wall, and there are specific mounting hole locations for 1/4" bolts, and on and on. The scoring is based on a ratio of effieciency, calculated by a ration of mass held:mass of structure. To give you an idea of a good score, it isn't unheard of to have a team with a 10gram boom that can hold all 15kg of weight.

My problem is this: I have a bottle of wood glue that I left in my car last week in upstate NY, and it froze solid. It has since melted, of course, but I don't know whether to trust it. I would hate to have a Boom fail because of bad glue, but it also is a bad feeling wasting an almost completely full bottle of glue.

The glue is Elmers Carpenter's interior wood glue. I used to use CA for this event, but it was too brittle and I've had good results with wood glue, even though it's a bit heavier.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

gp1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Wood Glue Issue

That glue will dry pretty quickly. Do a test on some scrap and test if glue fais or wood fails first. I suspect wood will fail first but test first.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #3

Wood Glue Issue

I wouldn't use frozen glue / thawed glue. New glue for your project is a couple of bucks and why risk a failed joint and a poor grade on your design.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Wood Glue Issue

A large new bottle of Elmers wood glue is only less than $4.00 at HD...... buy a new bottle...
$4.00 ....ssshhhhh.........
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #5

Wood Glue Issue

I did some tests and it seems to be working ok, but I havent tested anything to full load.

I'll probably still buy a new bottle when i get a chance though.

Thanks for yor help!
gp1200r is offline   Reply With Quote