DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood Framing Getting Wet?

22K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Babs 
#1 ·
Hi, Now that my 16 X 24 foundation has been poured by my Concrete guy, I hope to start framing my garage this weekend.

I have a question on the framing getting wet. If I frame out the wall or walls, and some rain hits, will this be bad for the framing? I will be using 2x4's for the walls, Pressure Treated Sill plates, and 1/2" Fir plywood for the sheathing

Once I get all 4 walls up I will wrap it with Tyvex house wrap, but that will only take care of the outside of the wall until the roof is on and has felt.

Should I be concerned if the framing gets wet in between me starting the walls and by the time the roof felt gets on?

Thanks in Advance...

#2 ·
stagger19 said:
Hi, Now that my 16 X 24 foundation has been poured by my Concrete guy, I hope to start framing my garage this weekend.

I have a question on the framing getting wet. If I frame out the wall or walls, and some rain hits, will this be bad for the framing? I will be using 2x4's for the walls, Pressure Treated Sill plates, and 1/2" Fir plywood for the sheathing

Once I get all 4 walls up I will wrap it with Tyvex house wrap, but that will only take care of the outside of the wall until the roof is on and has felt.

Should I be concerned if the framing gets wet in between me starting the walls and by the time the roof felt gets on?

Thanks in Advance...
No, you shouldn't be concerned. The framing is always getting wet until your done framing it. It's only a garage so it won't be getting wet that long.

I've framed houses that took 6 weeks to frame and got rained on and snowed on. Tyvek it when your done framing and the roof is on therefore the water doesn't get behind the tyvek.

#3 ·
A complete newb diy'er here.. 1st post on this forum. Glad to be here.. Interesting stuff.

On the wet framing, it's always been my understanding that it's ok.. I've seen stick-built house skeletons soaking in the rain, waiting on better weather to finish the house.

I think the key is though the framing was allowed to dry and didn't "stay" wet.. such as the case in a basement partition wall for example. If it stays wet or damp being the norm, and isn't allowed to dry, then I can imagine it would degrade/rot the lumber along with causing a bad mold issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.