Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Share |

wood doors with storm doors

Can you put a storm door over a wooden door without any warping of wood door? If so do you need to leave a space at the top or bottom of the storm door for breathing?
dgmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
Tool Geek

A storm door is a type of door that is installed in front of an exterior access door to protect it from bad weather and allow ventilation. No breathing space is required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmac View Post
Can you put a storm door over a wooden door without any warping of wood door? If so do you need to leave a space at the top or bottom of the storm door for breathing?
You can put a storm door over any exterior door. If you want to minimze the heat effect between the doors, paint the wood door a light color.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #4

If you install a full glass storm door over any door, it will generate heat. I've seen steel and fiberglass doors warp and plastic trim on door lites buckle with heat. You can buy replacement trim for the door lites, but you need to be aware of which way your door faces. Some sunny winter days, I leave my front door open as so much heat is generated from the low setting western exposure
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Household Handyman

I have real wood doors on my home, three (3) thirty-six (36) inch doors to be exact. I also have very good storm doors in front of all of these and have had for twenty-one (21) years now with no problems with the wood doors. I also install many storm doors and have never seen one so "air-tight"that it cannot breathe some. There is only one problem I see with this combination. With any solid entrance door and a "solid" storm door (no open screen) there will be a cushion of air develop when the storm door is closing. This tends to make these storm doors close slower because of the cushion of air being released. Sometimes this gets to be a problem with adjusting the door closure. Add in the doors with two closers and it can be tricky.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
If you install a full glass storm door over any door, it will generate heat. I've seen steel and fiberglass doors warp and plastic trim on door lites buckle with heat. You can buy replacement trim for the door lites, but you need to be aware of which way your door faces. Some sunny winter days, I leave my front door open as so much heat is generated from the low setting western exposure
Therma-Tru and Stanley used to have that problem and would caution against storm doors on windowed entry doors.
That warping issue has been addressed and the admonition of a storm door is no longer included in the instructions.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Therma-Tru and Stanley used to have that problem and would caution against storm doors on windowed entry doors.
That warping issue has been addressed and the admonition of a storm door is no longer included in the instructions.
You're right. I ordered replacement trim thru Thermatru but couldn't remember the name when I posted
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote