Wood Countertops - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wood countertops

Hello all ,

I'm in the process of renovating a house that we plan to rent out. I've never done this before but so far I have managed to figure it out along the way(thanfully). In the kitchen I am at the point where Im ready to install these wooden countertops. I was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to finish/protect them? I believe they are an "exotic" wood. The name of the wood was acai..? I purchased them at a local salvage/importer type store and cut them to fit. I bought a pour on epoxy glaze coat, two different ones actually. one is from Rustoleum and one is Famowood. My plan was to use one of these but upon doing research on them I've read mixed reviews. Any suggestions from my trusted DIY chatroom would be greatly appreciated.
wood countertops-rental-kitchen-2.jpg

SIDE QUESTION: anyone know where I can find a bottom bake element for this stove? Its a Hotpoint model 208RH171. I've seen some on ebay that look like they may work but they dont specify that particular model number. I emailed the person selling them that stated they could look it up. They replied back saying they could not find anything in the catalog on this model and that i would have to go by specs, which I will if I have to but I thought I would run it past you guys first.
wood countertops-rental-kitchen.jpg

Thank you, Brandy

Advertisement

baandla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 606

wood countertops

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For...08RH171-%3d%3d

IF YOU TRY AND USE A SEALER INSTEAD OF AN OIL ON THOSE COUNTER TOPS i CAN SEE THAT BECOMING A BIG MAINTAINCE ISSUE.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=CUTTING...sp=-1&qs=n&sk=

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

wood countertops

Thanks joe. So the pour on glaze is a sealer?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 508

wood countertops

Is a food grade oil you rub in, is basically all I use on butcher block counters.
Just wipe it on and run away.
Will need to be reapplied as time goes on, But I would not use anything else myself on it.
Can be bought at the big box stores.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 606

wood countertops

I'd guess so I can not see the can.
Might be ok for something like a bar top but not for a kitchen counter top.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

wood countertops

Thanks guys, y'all have saved me a lot of headache and work.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 624

wood countertops

I have bad news for you.

I have a 6' cherry countertop in my home. I have coated it with mineral oil twice, the first time I really soaked it in. It has been there for 8 months I suppose.

It was beautiful when I installed it and it still is.

Problem is you have to be very careful with it. Placing wet glasses, pots/pans, anything on it and you are in trouble.

Poor choice for a rental.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #8

wood countertops

well.... perhaps it is a bad choice but I have very little invested in these counter tops($129.00). And while id like for them to stay beautiful forever..... in the long run, if they look bad I dont see it as something that sandpaper couldnt fix. Just trying to avoid that if possible.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 624

wood countertops

Maybe give them a bottle of mineral oil and tell them to have at it once a month.

It is like telling your wife to put air in the tires or check the oil every time she drives the car. You know it won't happen.

Guess it is worth a try for $129.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #10

wood countertops

(Laughing), you sound like my husband. Your right though. Oh well, time will tell and lessons will be learned.

Last edited by baandla; 12-02-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

wood countertops

Your best chance of finding a heating element is to take your part down to Parts House and have them try to find a part to match yours.

Your Hotpoint range was made in the day before the appliance makers used computers to store model and part information. Product Info from that era was never placed in the computer data base that we use today, so todays computer generated parts info will not list your Hotpoint range.

Good Luck
Bruntson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

wood countertops

The difference in a countertop sealer and an oil is that a sealer lays on the top of the wood. It will chip, scratch and show knife cut marks. The sealer leaves a smooth, tough surface and does a nice job resisting these marks if it is taken care of...but then you are going to use it in a rental. If at a latter date you want to use the sealer to touch up chips and dings, the result is ugly with questionable adhesion.

An oil finish is absorbed into the pores of the wood, and lays just below the woods surface. Repairs and refinnishing is just a wipe down of the oil on an rag. The downside is it is only moisture resistance.

Since the repairs are so easy with oil that is what IO would use (I own over 30 rentral units for the last 28 years).

Bruntson

Last edited by Bruntson; 12-02-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Bruntson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #13

wood countertops

Thank you Brunston for your valuable information, insight, and time. I will do just that(your suggestions).
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,206

wood countertops

I know you're set on it, but I would never, ever install wooden countertops. But, on the plus side, they're going to look so crappy when the first tenant moves out that you'll get to keep their security deposit.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #15

wood countertops

You guys crack me up! Way to see the silver lining though Md . I'm going to choose to remain positive on this one. Surely there's a renter out there bright enough go wipe down a counter with mineral oil once a month.

Advertisement