Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #1

Share |

Wobbly banister

Hi

I'm trying to figure out how to secure my stairway handrail. I think the main problem is that the posts (apparently called newels) are not attached well to structure. I've posted a couple of pictures.

I watched a youtube video showing someone secure newels by taking off the top cap, and inserting two long threaded rods. Looks like it would work ok, but I don't have a cap.

I'm not sure how to do this, without mangling the things. Any suggestions?

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Wobbly banister-banister_1_low.jpg   Wobbly banister-banister_7_low.jpg   Wobbly banister-banister_8_low.jpg  

BlueSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Wobbly banister

I'm not seeing were they were ever attached right in the first place.
Unless those post run down through the floor and are attached to the floor joist.
You should be seeing two wooden plugs on the face of the post where there was long lag bolts used to attach it.
It also looks like they were installed sitting to far out so there's no great way to bolt them to the stringers in the other direction.

Last edited by joecaption; 08-31-2012 at 08:34 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #3

Wobbly banister

http://www.stairpartsusa.com/how_to_video_a/142.htm
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (09-01-2012), PaliBob (09-01-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Wobbly banister

I had a wobbly newel post that was not installed correctly in previous house of mine. The installer screwed a plywood plate to the bottom of the post and then attached this to the floor under the carpet. I had access to the post from the underside of house so I added a 2X8 flat between the floor joists. I then drilled a vertical hole in the newel, a horizontal hole in newel at top of vertical hole and hole through the floor and 2X8. I then used a large carriage bolt, nut and washers to attach the newel. I plugged the hole used to attach the nut with a plug of matching wood and stain. It is much like what you see in the above video. It worked well for the 5 years we were in the house. I assume it is still ok today. The reason I used the 2X8 was to ensure the subfloor was stiff enough but it might have been overkill.
older_bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #5

Wobbly banister

Thanks. Good video.

That's right, there don't appear to be any bolts... Actually, I think the post is just sitting on the tile with some nails here and there.

I don't have access from underneath the floor.

So if I put two bolts in, at about 2 and 4 inches from the floor on the front of the post, do you think that would be the best I can do? Also, suggestion for plugging the holes so they match?
Attached Thumbnails
Wobbly banister-banister_1.jpg   Wobbly banister-banister_2.jpg  
BlueSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Wobbly banister

if you have access to the underside of the stair framing it would be worth checking if you can strengthen the post from there. As Joe mentioned the post could possibly run down into the framing. otherwise you can buy a post kit that has bolts and plugs for the posts or devise your own for less $...

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote