Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wine Rack

I want to build a small wine rack to place on the counter between a pantry and our fridge. We have a small 9 bottle one there now, but I would like to build one that will fill the entire space to hold more bottles. The space is 18"x18" I've found some plans online but none that are the style we like. I'm looking for one with the "lattice look" which is essentially diamond shapes that each bottle sits in. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks
Troy

lucky8926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

Wine Rack

I would build a box out of plywood (grade depending on whether you paint it or stain it), with a back on it. Then use some 1x2 hardwood strips and notch them so they fit together diagonally. You could also make them so they're at 90* to each other. I'd make a full size template so you can figure where to notch the pieces.

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #3

Wine Rack

Here you go: http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...php?p_ref=3851
http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?P...5&LARGEVIEW=ON

Last edited by epson; 12-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #4

Wine Rack

The prices are for the valances, not the racks. Hth
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #5

Wine Rack

The main thing I need help on is the racks themselves, how to get the crosshatch pattern
lucky8926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
uva uvam videndo variafit

Wine Rack

You need to layout the hatch on cabinet or on paper to make sure it will fit and so that you don't up with 7.4 holes (more than anything else, you need to make sure it is symmetrical). Traditionally, this would be done on a 45 degree bevel. If the side of a hole (measured on a 45 deg angle) is 4", then the width of the hole will be 2*4*cos45 = 2*4*0.707. Once that layout is done, the lattice can be made by either hogging out half of the thickness in each piece at points of contact so that they lap and their faces are flush with each other or you can simply lap one set on top of the other set and glue them together (using brad nails at each point to hold the assembly together while the glue dries). Hogging out the contact points can be done with a router or with a set of dado blades in a table saw.

I don't know if this makes sense to you. I don't think I can make it any clearer without providing drawings. If it doesn't make sense, then I would suggest you buy a set of plans off the internet. The plans shouldn't be expensive and, even if want to modify the plans, the original design will show you how to put it together.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #7

Wine Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
The prices are for the valances, not the racks. Hth
No the prices say wine racks available “with matching valances” you don’t have to buy the valances. Anyway, here is a link on how to build a lattice wine rack. http://www.ehow.com/how_5478816_build-lattice-wine-rack.html
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #8

Wine Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
You need to layout the hatch on cabinet or on paper to make sure it will fit and so that you don't up with 7.4 holes (more than anything else, you need to make sure it is symmetrical). Traditionally, this would be done on a 45 degree bevel. If the side of a hole (measured on a 45 deg angle) is 4", then the width of the hole will be 2*4*cos45 = 2*4*0.707. Once that layout is done, the lattice can be made by either hogging out half of the thickness in each piece at points of contact so that they lap and their faces are flush with each other or you can simply lap one set on top of the other set and glue them together (using brad nails at each point to hold the assembly together while the glue dries). Hogging out the contact points can be done with a router or with a set of dado blades in a table saw.

I don't know if this makes sense to you. I don't think I can make it any clearer without providing drawings. If it doesn't make sense, then I would suggest you buy a set of plans off the internet. The plans shouldn't be expensive and, even if want to modify the plans, the original design will show you how to put it together.
I think thats what I said, but mine reply was in English!