Windows Help - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Windows Help

I am getting ready to start on restoring my weighted sash windows, well i am going to try anyway. I have done extensive reading and think i am just about ready to try one. My question is what to do with the window frame once the sashes are out and i find that the frames are not square? I do not know how old the house is but i do know that it was here in 1928, my window are not painted except for 3 of them, the rest are stained. A couple of them open although not smooth so i am sure that these will just need new cord and a cleaning of the pulleys, some open a few inches and some not at all and are loose on just one side of the sash. This leads me to think that these problems are from the settling of the home. We live in Louisiana and it is a pier foundation so the house settles and moves every season. I have read one article on a woman that restores historic windows in TX and she adds shims and or lattice board inside the frames to square them. Is this okay or should i look at another route? It seems to me that her fix will work and is pretty easy.
I am also looking for info on fixing the muntins, i have 3 over 1 windows and on a couple it seems the muntins are separating from the bottom of the sash on the upper window.
The pic i included is my worst window, you can see a little rot on the bottom of the upper sash. I have noticed that a few of my windows when it rains are wet in this area. My husband caulked or used window glazing around the outside of the windows but it is still getting wet. I am thinking that the glazing needs to be completely redone. Any ideas? And do i just use epoxy for the rot?
Any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Help-imag0130.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by kshreve; 10-03-2011 at 01:02 PM.
kshreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Windows Help

You want to inspect each window before you start taking them apart. If the window frame is out of square, the sash lock won't engage properly because the sash will hit the bottom before it lines up with the upper sash receiver.
The windows need to be properly glazed and painted. Staining provides color, not protection.
If the muntins are away from the frame, the frame is warped. You'll need a new sash. The last time I priced wood sashes, it was cheaper to buy a replacement window.
Small areas of rot can be repaired. Larger areas are problematic.
Post photos of the issues for better guidance.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
1910NE (10-04-2011), kshreve (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Windows Help

Thanks Ron,
The windows are painted on the outside, stained on the inside. Most of the locks do engage, the ones that dont are only off slightly that is why i was wondering if her method of shims and/or lattice strips would work if fitted inside of the frame? I dont really have much rot a few spots starting here and there, mostly it seems around the glass, which is wavy so i am trying my best to do everything i can to keep my originals. I dont want to change the look of my house with modern windows and the replacements which are made like the originals is just not in the budget right now, as we are getting ready to have the house painted. Also thanks for the info on the muntins, there are tons of old houses in this area, one that was just torn down and the owner kept EVERYTHING, so i can def find some old sashed that may not be warped.

This is the link to the article i was speaking of,
Thanks
http://www.oldhousejournal.com/how_t.../magazine/1600
kshreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Windows Help

Use of a square will tell you if the windows are correct or not. Shimming them back to square requires a little effort as they're attached to framing and sheathing. You would need to loosen the frame to square them up.
You ones that are more difficult to lock should be viewed from outside to see how much they are off of square. One side of the sash will touch the sill before the other side.
You can fix this a number of ways.
Square the frame.
Plane the sash so it makes contact evenly accross the sill.
-this would be my least favorable method.
Apply a gasket to the sash bottom and raise the sash locks with fillers.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote