Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

windows

i have an interior window sill with a large piece broken off that i want to replace.
When i removed the trim from under it i thought id be able to see how it was attached but i can't see anything. Any idea how to get this thing out. I hope it doesn't go under the window. thanks

farrington135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
GMW

windows

If this is the stool moulding you are talking about. The ones I have seen have finish nails going through the top or edge into the bottom of the window. If it is all painted, maybe a little sanding would reveal the nail location.

GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:46 PM   #3

windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW
If this is the stool moulding you are talking about. The ones I have seen have finish nails going through the top or edge into the bottom of the window. If it is all painted, maybe a little sanding would reveal the nail location.
yes it is the stool moulding but the problem is the nails are under the plastic cover at the bottom of the window and it looks like i have to take off the plastic tracks the windows ride in just to get the bottom piece out. I don't even see any screws or nails that hold those on. I thought it would be a breeze to replace this stool moulding.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:03 AM   #4

windows

Do you have the piece that broke off? If you do try a dry fit it back in place. Usually a broken piece like that can be glued back to original condition. A wood glue bond is stronger than original. Takes a little skill but we might be able to talk you through if you wanted to give it a try. > otherwise the trim usually goes in after the windows are set in new construction but if these are replacement windows I could see the window on top of the sill. If you have the trim piece off try to get a small bar or a chisel or a good sized screwdriver under the sill and pull up gently to see if the piece bends at the window. If it is a replacement window there is a chance the sill does not go to far under the window. Some easy prying should give you an idea of the size of the piece you're working with. HS.<P><

edited 8-22. I thought we were talking about wood trim but will leave the post for general info for other readers. HS

Last edited by K2eoj; 08-22-2005 at 08:57 AM.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
GMW

windows

Can you find out the manufacturer? Most stool moulding is applied after installation as part of the trim. I suppose the manufacturer could have built yours in. If that is the case it will be hard to replace. If you are going to paint it, there are wood fillers that are more like bondo and can be shaped to fill in broken off piece.
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #6

windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerslammer
Do you have the piece that broke off? If you do try a dry fit it back in place. Usually a broken piece like that can be glued back to original condition. A wood glue bond is stronger than original. Takes a little skill but we might be able to talk you through if you wanted to give it a try. > otherwise the trim usually goes in after the windows are set in new construction but if these are replacement windows I could see the window on top of the sill. If you have the trim piece off try to get a small bar or a chisel or a good sized screwdriver under the sill and pull up gently to see if the piece bends at the window. If it is a replacement window there is a chance the sill does not go to far under the window. Some easy prying should give you an idea of the size of the piece you're working with. HS.<P><

edited 8-22. I thought we were talking about wood trim but will leave the post for general info for other readers. HS
It was a replacement window and the nails holding the stool in were way underneath the bottom of the window. I was able to get a sawsall in there to cut them. All down hill after that. Just put the new one in. thanks for the replies.