Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

window trim bevel

This one should be easy!

Putting on some new window treatments in a 50's era house we bought recently. But, I'm finding that the hardware that comes with the things we're buying, isn't playing well with our situation.

The mounting clips that come with several new cellular blinds usually comes with two options - screw holes horizontally, or screw holes going up vertically. (Seems typical of most of these clips.)

* Going horizontal isn't going to work for me, because that would go right into the plastic base of our windows (pic 1 below).

* So, to get a good bite on wood, I think I need to go UP. However, our wood trim around the windows has a bevel. And I'm finding that the pre-made holes in the clips are too far out. (see pic 2)

The first set of blinds we bought had this problem, and we thought it a fluke, and returned them. Now the second has the same problem. Is our wood trim just old (and narrower) than newer stuff?

For reference sake, also showing a pic of the old mounting clips from 80's era blinds. They seemed to provide ample opportunity for screw holes very tight in against the window. (pic 3)

Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
window trim bevel-plastic-issue.jpg   window trim bevel-bevel-issue.jpg   window trim bevel-old-blind-mount.jpg  

Last edited by HHac8014; 12-05-2010 at 08:24 PM.
HHac8014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

window trim bevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHac8014 View Post
This one should be easy!

Putting on some new window treatments in a 50's era house we bought recently. But, I'm finding that the hardware that comes with the things we're buying, isn't playing well with our situation.

The mounting clips that come with several new cellular blinds usually comes with two options - screw holes horizontally, or screw holes going up vertically. Seems typical of most of these clips.

* Going horizontal isn't going to work for me, because that would go right into the plastic base of our windows (pic 1 below).

* So, to get a good bite on wood, I think I need to go UP. However, our wood trim around the windows has a bevel. And I'm finding that the pre-made holes in the clips is too far out. (see pic 2)

Any help appreciated.
Drill new holes closer.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #3

window trim bevel

Seconded
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

window trim bevel

run them into the window,it won't cause any problems
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #5

window trim bevel

Considered drilling new holes - but the plastic isn't flat. It sort of bevels down to the screw holes - probably to give it additional strength. It also seems like the kind of plastic that would crack...

Tom - would that not damage the window to just go into the plastic?
HHac8014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

window trim bevel

Quote:
Considered drilling new holes - but the plastic isn't flat. It sort of bevels down to the screw holes - probably to give it additional strength. It also seems like the kind of plastic that would crack...

Drill from the top and down. The top has to be flat.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #7

window trim bevel

Quote:

It would prob be ok if you use the right kind of screws and placed the brackets close to each end
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

window trim bevel

If you don't mind a bit more work then reframe and change out the old mouldings around your window.I have similar trim around my new windows.I hate it.Slowly buy surely all the trim is being replaced with nicer,more robust trim.
nel262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #9

window trim bevel

pan head sheet metal screws or the screws that come with the brackets are all you need to hang those light mini blinds directly on the vinyl

damage the plastic how?

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote