Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Window stops

I need to saw flush the Outside window stop on my single hung wood windows. The cut is at a total depth of 1 5/8" from the outside frame. What power tool would do the job with the least amount of work and damage to the existing painted surface? Rotozip? Multimaster?

in2it4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
STAFF

Window stops

I am trying to visualize what you can be referring to as a window stop that is 1 5/8 inch thick. Could you be talking about the brick mold on the outside of the window jamb?

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

Window stops

The depth from the outside of the frame to the stop is 3/4", plus the stop is 7/8" the total is 1 5/8". The stop sticks out 1/2". I am trying to cut it flush so I can remove the windows from the outside, and replace the stop with a piece of molding a 1/4" narrower to accommodate the new windows and tracks.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #4

Window stops

I am in the same situation. inside stops not removable and my wife doesn't want a mess in the house. I was considering one of the dremel tools. I also may use a small cordless circular saw to cut most of the way. I have heard of people using a sawzall, but it doesn't sound like good way for accurate cuts.
Have you gotten any other suggestions. Also are you planning to wrap your trim when done with aluminum?
Good luck
woodbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Window stops

multimaster
169stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Stair builder

Window stops

If I'm understanding your explanation correctly all you need is a utility knife. On traditional wood windows window stops are never glued but nailed into a grove. This is done so that the window may be removed. Take a utility knife and break the paint at the joint and remove the stop.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #7

Question

Window stops

My stops-both inside and outside are sandwiched between the jamb and the casing. I will have to cut them out. How fast and accurate is a multimaster. I was also considering using a trim router with a fence to ride against the outside of the trim. It is getting cold and I am thinking -Damn the mess -and do it from the inside.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #8

Window stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbird View Post
Also are you planning to wrap your trim when done with aluminum?
Good luck
What's the purpose of wrapping the trim with aluminum?
Multimaster is great for what you want to do if I understand correctly. Harbor Freight (I know) has two knockoff models If you don't want to invest big bucks. If your going to be cutting nails get the appropriate blade.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #9

Window stops

Thanks Mike,
If I cut the outside I am not too worried about neatness. If I cut the sandwiched in molded stop on the inside I want it neat enough to cover pretty flush with some new stop. I think I will get a multimaster. Any thoughts on the Dremel brand for $99?
Thanks again
Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #10

Window stops

Haven't used anything other than a Multimaster but from what I read on the various DIY and woodworking forums the Dremel, Crafstman, Bosch etc. all seem to do a good job. Just not as industrial as the multimaster
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #11

Window stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbird View Post
Thanks Mike,
If I cut the outside I am not too worried about neatness. If I cut the sandwiched in molded stop on the inside I want it neat enough to cover pretty flush with some new stop. I think I will get a multimaster. Any thoughts on the Dremel brand for $99?
Thanks again
I am going to cut through the frame holding the window glass with a sawsall and remove it. Then I will use my Rotozip with the right angle flush saw blade attachment to cut through each stop. I will use the Multimaster to get into the corners.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #12

Window stops

Oh yeah it has to be quick and dirty as I have 13 windows with 2 stops each on three sides.