Window PAIN.....haha And A Door Question - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window PAIN.....haha and a door question

We are going to replace our old single pane slider windows with the new low E windows. Our exterior is stucco. The windows in this house are gigantic for the size rooms that are in it and since we live in the desert, we are going to make the windows smaller via a reduction in width. The windows that we can order can come without the lip (block windows?). I don't want to screw up anymore stucco than we have to so we are keeping the height the same. Any tricks to framing in those smaller windows? We are only keeping a few the same size and hopefully they "should" just slide in...........tips on how to get a perfect measurment are also welcome.......

Also we have one exterior door that is short and skinny that comes out of the laundry room, the door in it is a solid slab door, but i can't see through it when I am here by myself and its creepy. Any ideas on finding a door that is smaller than a standard with a window in it for less than eyeball and a ear?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

boomer0369swife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Window PAIN.....haha and a door question

Many times I have installed a window in a solid core wood door. At my lumber yard there is available a window ;that, you can install, either as a square ,or you can turn it ;so, that it is diamond shape ,in a solid core exterior door. I believe that these are available for both 1 3/4" and 1 3/8" exterior doors. In Baltimore especially, there are many odd size doors and some of the back doors are only 1 3/8" thick.

The window is solid safety glass (required in a door) with wood trim and they shouldn't be that expensive.All you have to do is take the door off the hinges,set it on two saw horses,measure and mark the location of the window and cut out the opening with a jigsaw.After that, just slip in both sides of the window an attach with screws.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com

Advertisement

Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote