Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Window Louvres

I have these shutters I like to cut it evenly in half at the top of that cross member. In this picture it's upside down. I like to cut it at the top of the cross member on each door, they're to big for my window as it is, these are tri-fold, would it be easier to do one cut or take all doors off and line each one up for the cut?? I would have to re-align the hinges, and re-align the top frame. The cross member on each section that separates the top from the bottom section looks and feels like a solid piece of wood. It doesn't look hard but looking for any tips and suggestions. Thanks for any help.
Window Louvres-image.jpg

GRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Window Louvres

It sounds like you only want them shorter, right? How much too tall are they?

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

Window Louvres

Yes I need them shorter, they are 58 1/4 L x 53 3/4 H. They are too big for my widow as they are now. They would be perfect once I can get them cut. They fit my width of my window perfectly but not the height. My window size is
581/2W x 47 1/2H
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Window Louvres

The trick setup is not cutting the middle out. Not for 6.25 inches.

The proper method would be to leave all three (six, nine or twelve) horizontal pieces fully intact, and disassemble the louvers enough to be able to cut down the lengths of all the vertical sides to get the 47 1/2" total length... half off the top, and half off the bottom.

If this looks like it is going to cause a problem with proper louver spacing, then go one louver longer on the top and one on the bottom... THEN trim both the tops and bottoms of the whole windows. (Shouldn't be more than a 1/2" or so, on both ends.)

Basically, you're just building a shorter window with the same cross pieces, but just a few less louvers.

Last edited by Willie T; 07-07-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Window Louvres

Willie, I think I might have stated it wrong...what I would like to do is cut them at the top of the cross member where it shows the two sections. They would fill up the window half way.. I'm not looking to custom fit to the full size of the window. So I'm looking to cut them right at the top of those cross members...each door has one of these cross member And are hinged I hope have explained this correctly if not please let me know,..thanks