Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
syl

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Window jambs

I installed 11 new energy efficient vinyl windows with 3/4" drywall returns running around the parameter of each window. So far I have installed oak window jambs in 5 windows without any problems.

Currently I am working on a window where the distance from the back of the drywall return to the face of the interior drywall varies from 170mm to 178mm. My questions

What width do I cut the window jamb for that window?

And how do I deal with gap that will exist between the window casing and the drywall?

Thanks

syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Window jambs

A good method to apply, that is effective with a DIY-skill-level, would be to make all the jambs at a unified width and leave the gap on the jamb side facing the window. Then install an additional trim piece (like a jamb stop) over the gap and against the window frame.

In the following picture, we were installing PVC-composite trim around windows at a water treatment plant. We had installed PT over the brick, but were still faced with uneven jamb widths, as well as window frame issues (old crooked brick walls with new plumb windows installed) There was also the main issue that the widths were slightly over 11-1/4" wide (The width of the largest 1x12 composite board we could get at the time)
So we purchased PVC drip-cap trim and used it like a window jamb stop, placing them next to the window frames. There was alot more involved, but you get the idea.
Now, I am making this picture extra big, so that you can clearly see the stock used to fill in the gap and cover over some window frame issues, and understand the suggestion that I am making.

By The Way: THAT IS NOT ME IN THE PICTURE! (I'm the one who took the picture)

Example:

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-08-2008 at 05:23 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Window jambs

Just a dumb southern boy here, so I don't know how much the difference is between those measurements, but this is a pretty common situation, and I always cut the stock wide and scribe it to the taper. Extra trim piece will certainly work as suggested by Atlantic, just be sure the window frame is wide enough to receive the thickness of both the return jamb and the extra trim.

And by the way... the South WILL rise again...unless the Mexicans get us first.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote