DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Window Jamb question

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Wildie 
#1 ·
I am ready to install a window jamb into my basement window now that I have the sheetrock finished. I am having an issue though where the distance from the window to the sheetrock varies around the frame, anywhere from 8" to 8 1/2". I want the jamb to be flush with the sheetrock, so how is this accomplished? Is leaving a gap in the rear against the window and simply caulking it ok? Or is there something I am missing here? Is there a tool I could use to shave the front down level with the sheetrock and not make it look like a 3 year old did it?

#4 ·
Install the jamb. Leave it stand out past the wall. Install temporary 1x3s around the jamb and against the drywall. Then use a router to trim the jamb back almost flush with the finished wall. You want to leave it stand a little proud (1/16") so you can sand it almost flush with the drywall.

#6 ·
When I had this problem, I scribed the jamb projection unto a piece of 3/4" wood that was the length of the window trim.
Then, I cut along the scribe on my table saw.
I then glued this to the window trim, before cutting the corner miters.
Didn't own a router at that time!

#7 ·
Update

Ok so what I ended up doing was just cut my jamb boards at 8" around the entire window. This of course left a gap. I mounted them flush to the drywall, leaving the gap in the rear against the window. I then used peices of latice that I cut to overlay the gap. This leaves a small 1/4" raised surface of course, but it looks rather nice. This way I didn't have to waste multiple boards trying to custom cut my jamb. I primed and painted the jamb and it all looks really nice!

#8 ·
Ok so what I ended up doing was just cut my jamb boards at 8" around the entire window. This of course left a gap. I mounted them flush to the drywall, leaving the gap in the rear against the window. I then used peices of latice that I cut to overlay the gap. This leaves a small 1/4" raised surface of course, but it looks rather nice. This way I didn't have to waste multiple boards trying to custom cut my jamb. I primed and painted the jamb and it all looks really nice!
If you're happy, I'm happy! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.