Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Share |

Window header code

Shouldn't a window header come to the edge of the studs using plywood spacers? If they do not does this violate building code? The attached picture shows six framed windows. Three on the left have the header to the edge of the studs, three on the right do not. Is it the contractors prerogative to do it either way?
bandido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Roofmaster

Window header code

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandido View Post
Shouldn't a window header come to the edge of the studs using plywood spacers? If they do not does this violate building code? The attached picture shows six framed windows. Three on the left have the header to the edge of the studs, three on the right do not. Is it the contractors prerogative to do it either way?
No Pictures.

The header does not "Come to the edge" Headers are supposed to be set on trimmers, sometimes referred to as jack studs, which are sistered to king studs, and they are both supposed to sit on a sole plate. The purpose of a header, or a Lintil in masonry, is to pick up the vertical load above an opening and transfer it laterally to a vertical support located to the side of the opening. The vertical support then transfers it to the foundation via other structural members.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-01-2014)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

Window header code

I don't know how to attach a picture but it clearly shows half the windows have the header flush with the studs and half are centered and set back. How can I show you the picture? Why would a contractor install headers two different ways in the same building?
The Following User Says Thank You to bandido For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Window header code

I think what he means is that they left the plywood spacers out.... thus making a 3" thick header, instead ot the 3-1/2" thickness the addition of plywood would make them.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Window header code

Is the spacer required by code? How can I attach a picture so you can see it? It's a six 2x6 inch wide wall. On some windows the 2x8 headers are flush with the 2x6 studs and other windows they are not. Maybe three 2x8s on some and only 2 on others with no spacers.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

Window header code

Welcome to the Forum!

here is how to post photos How to attach a photo to a post

there is no code requirement I know of that says a header must be the same depth as the studs, i.e., if wall is framed with 2x4 (3-1/2" depth) that the header must be 3-1/2" in depth also. with that said it's normal in my area that headers are the same depth as the studs in the wall whether they use plywood or rigid insulation as a thermal break.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
bandido (05-03-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
In a little over my head

Window header code

I've never seen a header that wasn't flush with the studs. I wouldn't worry so much about the strength, but rather installing the sheetrock. You'll need to put a spacer on the outside of the 2x.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Window header code

There is no core requiring the header to be flush with both sides of the studs. With 2x6 outside walls I just slap 2-2x10's together with a 2x6 on the bottom of them and flush the 2x10's against the outside of the wall. This allows for insulating the dead space at the same time as the rest of the house.
s4s4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Window header code

Bad framing job, but shim it out and move on.
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

Window header code

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4s4u View Post
There is no core requiring the header to be flush with both sides of the studs. With 2x6 outside walls I just slap 2-2x10's together with a 2x6 on the bottom of them and flush the 2x10's against the outside of the wall. This allows for insulating the dead space at the same time as the rest of the house.
I'm in the process of insulating my house. I have the exact same setup as you for my window and door headers. How do you go about insulating them? I was thinking spray foam. I have alot of windows and i can only figure I'll be getting about R10 max using the batts or a combination of bats and rigid foam.

Thanks!
CheapCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

Window header code

Quote:
I'll be getting about R10 max using the batts
That's about right. We get some wicked cold here in nothern MN as well and that is an area I don't worry too much about.
s4s4u is offline   Reply With Quote