Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

window flashing

Is there a difference is quality between ProtectoWrap and Grace Vycor for flashing around windows? Vycor comes in 9" and ProtectoWrap comes in 4". Is 4" wide enough?
Thanks,
Rick
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

window flashing

As a minimum, use what is recommeded by the window manufacturer. If not, forget about a guarantee if you ever have a moisture or mold problem. If you do not have the right materials, you don't have much to stand on if there is a problem.

The window manufacturers and insurance companies are well aware of the tremendously high percentage of windows that are not installed correctly. It is estimated at 40-80% for windows installed by non-certified installers

I have a number of friends that do not have enough time to do all the work offered regarding moisture intrusion. The manufacturers and insurers know that it is easy to go out and find the leakage in a few minutes with the proper moisture meter. The vinyl siding even makes it easier to check the outside. Every once in a while, they will pop for the whole water test if they have a persistant owner or contractor to put everything to bed for once and for all.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

window flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Is there a difference is quality between ProtectoWrap and Grace Vycor for flashing around windows? Vycor comes in 9" and ProtectoWrap comes in 4". Is 4" wide enough?
Thanks,
Rick
4" is minumum and will work. But not less than that.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #4

window flashing

Thanks, guys. I'll use the 4". Do you like Grace Vycor or PretectoWrap?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

window flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Thanks, guys. I'll use the 4". Do you like Grace Vycor or PretectoWrap?
To be honest...we use large 3' rolls of Grace Ice and water, and cut it down into strips...or whatever size we need it. Grace products are excellent against moisture.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

window flashing

Lately I have been using the Grace as well. I find it sticks better in the colder conditions than most.
wolffhomerepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #7

window flashing

Thanks again. I picked up Grace Vycor Plus. That stuff is excellent. I used the 9" wide roll to flash the sill and left the backing on along the bottom so my siding contractor could tuck the new Tyvek under it, peel off the backing, and stick the flashing to the Tyvek. I then used the 4" wide roll to flash over the nail flanges along the sides and then the top of the windows. Two windows done, 14 to go! I'm glad I'm doing this because my builder didn't use any flashing around the windows. The windows were simply face nailed through the brick molding to the rough opening. I'm also glad to see these wood windows go. LOML and I were getting tired of painting 'em.
Rick