Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Window casement

Okay, the windows are in and don't look half bad for replacements with a nail flange added.

All along i knew i was going to have a gap between the drywall and window however i am at the point where i want to finish them and can't decide between shadow boxing them with drywall or making jamb extensions with primed 3/4 MDF and then pine trim around the windows painted. The gap is about 2-1/2 - 3 inches.

pic isn't working, it will be up after work.

Last edited by gmhammes; 09-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #2

Window casement

personally i would go with the extension jambs and casings.

start with the stool, head jamb, side jambs, then case it, and add an apron below the stool.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wombosi For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-16-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #3

Window casement

Thank your for the advice. Couple notes.... I would cut the extensions to length, then i would have to trace them to width as you never know with the older homes if everything is straight. Would you then paint the jamb extensions white or the color of the trim which is tan in this house(previous owner did a lot of it and doesn't look to bad so i continued with the color). Reason i was thinking to paint them tan (same color as the trim) is incase i had to fill minor gaps between the jamb extensions and trim. Thoughts?

Secondly the gap at between the top of the window to the header is greater the the bottomand sides (more than 3/4) can i simply add 1/2 inch material thent he 3/4 board (that would space it correctly)? I don't think you would know once the trim is on.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #4

Window casement

hey GM<
paint it any color you like. probably makes sense to keep all the trim the same color.
but you can always caulk the joints and transition the colors at the caulk joint.

as for the large gap on the top, keep your reveal off the actual window uniform all the way around. this means you may wind up shimming the top extension jam and nailing it up just the way you would hang a door. then your top casing would cover the gap and leave a 1/4" reveal off the jamb. (don't forget to spray foam any large cavities.)

and sure, you can scribe fit everything, cut it with a jigsaw. bing.

good luck.

Last edited by wombosi; 09-17-2010 at 09:36 AM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wombosi For This Useful Post:
gmhammes (09-17-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #5

Window casement

Exactly what i was hoping to hear! I really didn't want to mess with a shadow box. I never seem to get mudding and sanding perfect on corners.