Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

Will these shelves hold?

Each side of my fireplace has 4 feet of space, and I want to add shelving for DVD's, Cd's and maybe some books/vases.

The fireplace mantle is about 50 inches off the ground, and that's how tall I would like the shelves to go.

I was originally going to go with track shelving like this and custom cut the boards out of nice 1x6 to fill the space.

While I was at Home Depot, I saw this type of shelving system . Aside from it simply looking better, since the tracks are on the sides instead of the back where its easily seen, its drastically cheaper - $30 total including wood, opposed to $120.

My plan is to put the correct height 1x6 into the studs on the drywall put one set of tracks on that (or would I be safe putting the tracks on drywall with anchors??), and put the other tracks directly on the wood fireplace mantle.
My concern is whether this type of shelf would support 4 foot long 1x6.
I would think if I put an L-bracket in the middle, in a stud, it would give support and I could simply paint the L-bracket.
Also, I was, as I mentioned above, wondering if I could put one set of tracks directly on the drywall with threaded anchors.
Any advice/suggestions?

Kayhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
Retired carpenter

Will these shelves hold?

A four-foot-long shelf will sag in the middle. If brackets look fine to you, they are the easiest way to deal with that problem.
Even though threaded anchors will work, especially if the track is resting on the floor, I would still use a board against the wall instead.

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Will these shelves hold?

you can use standards for your shelving but once you get over 36" long i would be adding a peice of 1x2 to the front edge of the shelf on edge to stiffen it up. on its own it will sag
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

Will these shelves hold?

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going with track shelving. The picture is kind of dark because we were watching TV and like it dark, but this is how it ended up. I need to work on the cables etc, but my husband hasn't moved since we put the TV in, and I havent had a chance :P

Kayhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Will these shelves hold?

Well a good thing about those systems is that you can put the guides as close as you want and have no sag (2, 3, 4 of them - etc) - they are sold individaully (or: well - if your guides aren't sold individually then consider the ones that are).

At my Home Depot I bought some and I had a choice of white and black - the black would probably disapear more on a brick wall.

But in my livingroom I used hidden brackets that all individually hung (a little more work) and have a plastic cover (which I painted with a faux metal finish)
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Will these shelves hold?

No comment other than an interior designer could still fix this.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-16-2012)