Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Where to find good Bifold hardware & doors?

We are embarking on our 2nd DIY project. The first one was enlarging his & her closets and putting pairs of (NOT PRE-HUNG) solid pine wood doors in each opening. It was challenging but we are serious about our work and the efforts was well worth it.

For the guest room, we decided to go with BIFOLDS. Looking for recommendations for ALL parts of this project, especially good bifold hardware & good panels to use. We like the 6-panel look as its to the period of our house. We especially don't want the horrid hollow metal sounding sliding doors. We are willing to pay more for good quality and mechanism but am not sure where to look.

Thanks!!

smoochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #2

Try a local lumber yard for the doors and jamb stock. Johnson hardware is one of the best.

http://johnsonhardware.com/fdindex.htm

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

hey 4747, thanks so much for answering and especially for the Johnson name! I had started looking at Hafele and almost choked when I figured out the price for their track hardware.

Are we able to join 4 12-in wide (1-3/8 thick) doors if we can find them? we are thinking of going with molded but smooth surface if we can find them. All the molded doors we can find at HD or Lowes have the fake wood grain which we do not like. Are there any types of doors you would recommend?

One of the disheartening things about our last project was we paid what we thought was a good amount of $ for pine Jeld-Wen 6-panel doors from home depot. Well, I don't know if it was a manufacturing issue or what but on one door, there has been some (expansion??) gap issue where there is either glue (??) missing or pieces are delaminating. It makes me super wary of buying anything from these big box stores now as it makes me think we are not getting quality goods.

There seems to be tons of lumber yards & building supply yard up in Flushing, Queens but we don't know which ones - would like to avoid visiting them all as that would be FOREVER! lol

Last edited by smoochas; 07-13-2010 at 11:13 AM.
smoochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

I 2nd Johnson hardware, none better. Avoid cheap chineese junk.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote