Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
DIY neophyte

Send a message via AIM to rebekkah Send a message via Yahoo to rebekkah
Share |

Where can I buy this type of baseboard?

Obviously I'd much prefer someplace cost-efficient. The only place I know to get baseboards are a) Home Depot, et al., and b) online, though it appears many places sell only in bulk and I am just one homeowner.

I am looking for about 4" craftsman-style baseboards (at least I think they're craftsman-style, that's what my research has led me to believe) with a SMALL, SINGLE ornamental detail. For example, I like these:

And not so much the I-nailed-a-painted-board-to-the-wall look of these:

Home Depot sells 4.25" baseboards exactly like the first two for $2/lf. I have no idea if that's expensive, so I'm hoping someone here can weigh in! Is that a fair price for these baseboards, or can you recommend someplace else (types of stores or web sites) with a better price for what I need? I'm in the Louisville, KY area. Oh, and I don't have a router so I can't make my own.

Thanks in advance!

rebekkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
remodeling pro

The big photo you show looks like a piece of 1 x 8 that has been profiled with a beading bit.I doubt if it is something that you will find at a typical lumber yard much less a big box. The small shot with the plinth block appears to be a standard ogee or "lambs tongue" profiled base, which is readily available.

Technically speaking, the flat unprofiled 1 x you don't like is closer to true Craftsman style, which used almost no edge profiling on trim at lower levels , such as door casings, base boards or waincotting rails and stiles, but unless you are doing a historical restoration, your likes are more important than technicallities.

The profile is pretty easy to make with a router and a beading bit (about $35). The key is that you will have to make an auxillary base on your router to keep it from tipping, as the profile requires the machine to be run down the top of the board (balancing on only 3/4"), instead of flat.

There is one site ( I'm sure there are many more) called "Goodmouldings.com" that claims to have thousands of profiles. I have seen a couple with beads or kerfs at the top similiar to yours. Don't have any experience with buying from them, so I cannot comment on their mininum quantity or whether they are strictly wholesale.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 02-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #3

The first set of baseboards are very common in old houses in my area, Richmond, Va. I used to get them used at a salvage place called Caravati's. I think they now have a website. It would be better to get them new though. I've picked up antiques in the past (not there) that carry powder post beetles. There are a bunch of small manufacturers that serve old houses. Look at the Old House Journal for some wood molding companies. It's a gret magazine. I know they also have a website something like oldhousejournal.com or google them. Good luck!
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #4

Rebekkah, your handrail is very close to what I want to replace mine with , do you have any other pics?? Thanks, Mike
47_47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
DIY neophyte

Send a message via AIM to rebekkah Send a message via Yahoo to rebekkah

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll check all that out and see what I can find!

Mike, I regret to inform you that is not my handrail (I WISH - mine is your basic almost-round poorly attached to the wall with a few flimsy gold brackets, ugh) but merely one I found in my search for baseboard images. :/
rebekkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #6

I can't really see the top profile in the photo , but you may be better off with two peices. A 1x8 and a trim piece on top. It almost looks like a shelf nosing.Your big box store may carry something like that

johnrem is offline   Reply With Quote