Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #1

Share |

When do I hang my doors?

Basment is moving along.....This past weekend I finished the drywall and applied 2 coats of primer. This week I will paint as I have the electricians coming on Friday. Two rooms will be carpeted and the third will be tiled. Do I hang the doors before or after I tile?

Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Oldguy

When do I hang my doors?

If you haven't put in the door frames yet, do it now. Remove the doors, and replace after tile and carpet.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #3

When do I hang my doors?

Excellant - thank you for the reply. I'll hang them this week and then rermove the door (these are the home depot pre-hung doors). I made my rough opening exact to what the door requested -- looks like I could have reduced the rough opening by a good inch or so. Should I do all the shimming on one side or split the difference and shim both sides?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #4

When do I hang my doors?

One other question. I will be installing a transition strip (the doorway opens to the unfinished side of my basement) so the transition is all the way down to the cement floor. (I need to go to home depot to buy this yet). I am assuming this transition piece goes in the middle of the door opening. In the middle of the door jam is that small piece of wood that the door closes against – don’t know what its called, but I am sure you know what I am talking about. Do I cut that to permit the transition strip to slide under it?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Remodeler

When do I hang my doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost
One other question. I will be installing a transition strip (the doorway opens to the unfinished side of my basement) so the transition is all the way down to the cement floor. (I need to go to home depot to buy this yet). I am assuming this transition piece goes in the middle of the door opening. In the middle of the door jam is that small piece of wood that the door closes against – don’t know what its called, but I am sure you know what I am talking about. Do I cut that to permit the transition strip to slide under it?
What you are referring to is called door stop. If you are not going to finish the area where the door opens to I would run the carpet or tile in line with the next rooms walls. This way it might be easier to add something later. The normal transition would be at the door stop in the middle of the door. This way you see what is in each room.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #6

When do I hang my doors?

Yes, that makes sounds right. If I were to be finishing the next room (which I will in time) would I cut the door stop so that the transition slides under it?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Remodeler

When do I hang my doors?

I think you misunderstand me. Say you are standing in the room that has carpet on the floor. Run this carpet through the doorway to the other side of the door (the unfinished side). The door stops are on the vertical (left and right sides of the door. When you install the carpeting in the finished room YES you want to cut the stop up the thickness of the carpet (flooring) so it will slide under the stop. When you finish the other room you can cut both flooring materials to the center of the door and mate the floors there. In the mean time you will have the finished flooring end past the stop or (center of door).

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote