Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

When to change blade?

My miter saw seems to be leaving shreds on the bottom and back side when I cut lately. Is that a clear cut sign it is time to change the blade? Can't remember when/if I have changed it, but I have cut all sorts of stock with that blade from wood, composite, to pvc piping on occasion.

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,944

When to change blade?

Composites and PVC are really hard on blades and can leave a sticky film from the melted plastic.
Run your finger over the edges of the teeth, are they starting to round over?
Motor sound like it's struggling when cutting?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,186

When to change blade?

The advise given to me once by an old time cabinet maker was to drag your thumb nail across the point of a tooth with a little (subjective) pressure. If it won't leave a scratch mark have it serviced or replaced.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

When to change blade?

Thanks for the tips guys. Going to feel it and see later tonight. Is it worth having a blade sharpened these days? I see a combo pack of 2-10" Dewalt blades for $35 on Amazon, or a Diablo for $36.

What is a good tooth count for general all around work? I'll look and see how many teeth the blade on there has now, but figured I'd ask as a reference.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,040

When to change blade?

get some blade cleaner first and clean the residue off the blade, that will extend the life of the blade quite a bit

as for sharpening blades.. cheaper blades shouldnt be resharpened,, theres very little carbide on them.. the dewalt blades fit this description. freud diablo blades are made so they can be resharpened and are better than the dewalt ones to begin with
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-12-2014), DH558 (01-29-2014), eandjsdad (01-12-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

When to change blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Going to feel it and see later tonight. Is it worth having a blade sharpened these days? I see a combo pack of 2-10" Dewalt blades for $35 on Amazon, or a Diablo for $36.

What is a good tooth count for general all around work? I'll look and see how many teeth the blade on there has now, but figured I'd ask as a reference.
go with the Freud (Diablo) blades. I currently own a Dewalt miter saw and it has the factory Dewalt blade on it (same ones as the combo packs) and it is already dull (the saw is bout 5 months old with medium use) from what I hear the diablo blades are amazing
diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 262

When to change blade?

Really like the Freud and the CMT Orange blades. About the only things I would use the DeWalt blade for is rough framing and maybe pressure treated. Buy the Freud.

60 or 80 tooth.

Last edited by chitownken; 01-11-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added tooth count
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

When to change blade?

Thanks guys,
I'll try a quick clean, but its probably time for a blade. If I think back the saw was given to me and used for a bit, and I've used it over the last few years to cut all sorts of stuff. Lots of clean cuts along the way, but slowly has been fraying the back side.

Saw the Diablo 50 and 60 tooth blade today at Home Depot, and Amazon has the 40,50,60, and 80 tooth. Seems like the 50 tooth is called a combination where the 60 is for fine work. In all honesty I don't want to have to change the blade a lot, so would the 50 be a better option to use and go slow with nice trim, and allow me to chop 2X4's for unfinished work when needed?

I put a nice blade on my table saw, think it was this one:
Freud LU83R010

But again I don't want to be swaping blades, so what is a good all around blade for the chop saw that will do fine work some days, and rough work the next? Combination 50? The project I have up right now is going to be board and batten wainscoting type work, so definitely on the more finished end.

Last edited by HandyFrank; 01-12-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,282

When to change blade?

You quickly learn that $30-50 for a blade is cheap.

Believe it or not, I've had good luck with Ryobi blades. But you won't go wrong with a Diablo...

Also....make sure your using the right blade....for hardwood final cuts, I use a 60 tooth blade. The same blade works well with Melamine.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,250

When to change blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
You quickly learn that $30-50 for a blade is cheap.

Believe it or not, I've had good luck with Ryobi blades. But you won't go wrong with a Diablo...

Also....make sure your using the right blade....for hardwood final cuts, I use a 60 tooth blade. The same blade works well with Melamine.
With Melamine you will need a negative hook blade to keep from chipping and then you will have to cut slow and hope for the best.
Watch out when cutting melamine, the edges will cut you, they are very sharp.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
eandjsdad (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 262

When to change blade?

Combination blades are a compromise and as such are not the best for anything. Not fast for rough framing, not the smoothest for finish work. I usually have a 60 tooth on the miter saw and just put up with slower cuts in rough framing. For finish work I usually swap in the 80.

If you are not doing much trim or cabinetry work, the 50 will probably work OK for you. If the majority of the cuts are for finish wirk, get the 60.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,250

When to change blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
Combination blades are a compromise and as such are not the best for anything. Not fast for rough framing, not the smoothest for finish work. I usually have a 60 tooth on the miter saw and just put up with slower cuts in rough framing. For finish work I usually swap in the 80.

If you are not doing much trim or cabinetry work, the 50 will probably work OK for you. If the majority of the cuts are for finish wirk, get the 60.
On a table saw they are, the combination rip/crosscut is my favorite blade. Use to CMT made a great blade so did Amana not now days though, I don't think Forest even makes a combination blade now, if they did that would be the blade to have on a table saw. I wouldn't use the combo blade on a miter saw, don't know if they even make a 12 inch combo or not.

The more teeth the hotter the blade will get, heat kills carbide.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,338

When to change blade?

We are talking about chop saws---so cross cut blades are used----

Those should not be used in a table saw---Jim is correct---use a combination blade or a dedicated ripping blade in a table saw----more teeth is not better for ripping--

Down right dangerous at times.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-12-2014), ddawg16 (01-12-2014), eandjsdad (01-12-2014), Maintenance 6 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

When to change blade?

Here's a link to a nice guide from CMT on saw blade aplications, tooth grinds, etc.

http://www.cmtutensili.com/media/Fil..._usa-chart.pdf

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-13-2014)