Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What's the name of this connector?

Hi! I moved from one house to another and the moving guys disassembled a cabinet to move it. Well, they did a pretty bad job disassembling it and they broke several "connectors" and I am trying to find replacements for them now but I don't know the name of such "connectors" so I am posting some pictures of it in hope that someone knows.

Here are the pictures:

Below, a good (not broken) "connector" installed:

Another view of a "connector" installed:

And here a picture of an isolated broken "connector":

As you can see, the "connector" is used for connecting two pieces in right angles. In one side you make a hole and insert the "cam" side of the connector and the other side is screwed to the right angled piece.

Sorry for my bad description but I am not a carpenter so I don't know the names of things accordingly. Also, this cabinet was made in Brazil; this kind of "connector" is very common there but I am not sure if they are used here in the US.

Thank you for any information. I am looking for the name of such "connector" and where I could buy it here in the US. It is made of rigid plastic.

dasgata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

I think that is a type of "knockdown fastener" or "knockdown fitting"

I have seen those or very similar when looking through odd hardware pieces, I think at Ace Hardware.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 11-03-2011 at 07:57 AM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

You may need to get inventive---those are,most likely,made for the manufacturer of that cabinet and not available as a replacement.

Sorry,----
Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Oldhouseguy might be right, but I would be more inclined to agree with Mike; they are most likely proprietary, and the only chance of getting replacements may be to contact the manufacturer. I recently was going to make some pieces for some worn drawer slides on a 25-30 year old bedroom set, but decided to take a few minutes to call the manufacturer, and received the parts that I needed within a few days, no charge even. But, in the absence of that, your best bet is probably to talk with a buddy who may be handy; the configuration may end up being different, but I fully imagine that there is a fix.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Assuming it is not exposed, and you can live with the new ones being a bit different, you can find similar pieces that will do what that does.

A good woodworking place may even have them in stock.

Sometimes known as an RTA (Ready to Assemble) connector...I think Ikea uses similar parts for their furniture. Big in countries where trucks are not plentiful, so that people can break down furniture and transport it by bicycle, mule, camel, elephant, or whatever means they use when they don't have trucks!

The exact piece probably was made for the application as was said above.

Try this link...

https://hachol02.hafeleonline.com/OA...AE74D8F73539BB

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 11-03-2011 at 09:56 AM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
@oldhouseguy: the one you showed looks more like it. These kind of connectors, as far as I know, are not uncommon in my country, Brazil. As I said in my first post, this is a Brazilian cabinet and if I was living there, I would probably find it in stores because I don't think they were made exclusively for the application. But, honestly, I don't even know its name in my own language!

The advantage of such connector is that it can connect pieces of wood that are thin. I have seen some corner fittings in home depot that could do the same job but they use screws and even being small screws, they would go all the way through the wood and show up in the other side, the finished side, which is not acceptable.
dasgata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 12

Might try:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=367
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #8

Maybe this ? - http://www.buyhafele.com/index.php?m...ducts_id=22167

WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote