Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

Share |

What's best for top of an oak bar?

Ok, so I have a bar planned out. I'm just not real sure wha'ts best to use for the top of the bar. I remember helping my friends father when I was 18, and I know they glued all their own boards. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what boards specifically I should use. I was thinking 1x12's but IDK if those will be thick enough, so I was thinking 2 1x12s, but then it didn't make much sense to do that because why put a piece of real oak underneath where it would ever be seen, so I though use plywood underneath. Just wondering what your thoughts are, and what's standard. It's going to be a oak bar just polyeurethaned. I'm not staining or anything. Thoughts would be great. Thanks guys. It's nice to have a place to go and spitball ideas with people much smarter than me when it comes to carpentry. I'm somewhere in the mediocre range, so any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BaltimoreBamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

I think CCX plywood underneath like you said, glued and screwed with lots of clamps.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I think CCX plywood underneath like you said, glued and screwed with lots of clamps.
Ok, so one quick thing, this doesn't look incredibly hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmrCOUCvNaE

Has anyone done something similar to this? Is this something you could put a piece of plywood down, then glue/nail/clamp a few pieces at a time and make this over a couple days? This looks beautiful, and I"d love to do something with some sort of design like that. That's definitely doable, right? It would just take ripping tons of boards to size, and staining them the appropriate colors, then I could assemble, then polyeurethane, right? That wouldn't mess anything up doing it that way, would it?
BaltimoreBamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBamBam

Ok, so one quick thing, this doesn't look incredibly hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmrCOUCvNaE

Has anyone done something similar to this? Is this something you could put a piece of plywood down, then glue/nail/clamp a few pieces at a time and make this over a couple days? This looks beautiful, and I"d love to do something with some sort of design like that. That's definitely doable, right? It would just take ripping tons of boards to size, and staining them the appropriate colors, then I could assemble, then polyeurethane, right? That wouldn't mess anything up doing it that way, would it?
I would thing you would either have to rip tongues and grooves, invest in a bisquit joiner, or drill and dowels.

Anything is doable with the proper tools.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote