What Would You Call This? - Carpentry - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 714
Rewards Points: 502

Originally Posted by homesower View Post
That is a stretcher bond, also known as a running bond. They modify if further based on the overlap, so this would be a 3/4 running bond.

Since it doesn't have any bricks running sideways to tie it into another layer of brick it suggests that it is just a veneer. There is usually a cavity between it and whatever it is anchored too, so it is also called a cavity wall.
Thanks for that. (it must result in a lot of brick-cutting at the corners!).


tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Retired Cabinetmaker
woody4249's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach Florida
Posts: 189
Rewards Points: 156

[quote=homesower;904776]I understand the problem. Long areas of blank wall look wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I am going to suggest some additional solutions. 1) A big tall bush 2) a trellis with vines, roses or an espaliered fruit tree or something along the line of a 4) tresllisted arbor, with a park bench or swing underneath it.

I was thinking something along the same lines.......a plastic gnome maybe ?
What about a life size Elvis?
woody4249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 762
Rewards Points: 500

I'd go with brickmould. Btw, I don't like the idea of large bushes or small trees next to the foundation, but a trellis is a good idea
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 281
Rewards Points: 308

Got around today to fix this problem. Got the pair of shutters new at the Restore for $8 and the baseboard trim pieces from a wholesale store also for $8. Cut and nailed the trim, caulked the edges, and this is what I got -- not bad for under $20.

The plan is to get some shutter hinges and S hooks to make it appear more legitimate, and to maybe add a window box with some greenery to soften it a bit. Any other suggestions?


smokey847 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When do I call the plumber? ctote Plumbing 4 07-07-2011 11:28 AM
Contractors Venting Thread. Long. Doc Holliday Off Topic 7 05-23-2011 09:18 AM
Call the Greene County Sheriffs Dept. Roofmaster417 Off Topic 0 04-29-2011 09:55 PM
What to do? Who to call? Dusty General DIY Discussions 1 06-07-2007 03:58 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1