What Wood/product To Replace Rotted Door Jamb? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 151
Rewards Points: 150

What wood/product to replace rotted door jamb?

I have two exterior doors that each have 4-6" of rot at the bottom of the door jamb. What product can I use that will hold up and not have me doing this same repair in 5 or so years?

It looks like the previous owners already replaced this before by cutting out the old section and putting in the same wood as a replacement. Well, the replacement is rotting out now.

Can I use something called Polywood? Just read a little bit about it online.

These doors have little coverage from the elements, so they will get water on them eventually. These wood jambs are soaking the water up and rotting to pieces.


ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Household Handyman
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,478
Rewards Points: 1,408

At least in my area: Most standard size door jambs are available at the big box stores, ready to install. You will need to mortise in any needed hinges. I usually find it easier/quicker to replace the door jamb than to spend time removing/replacing a portion of the jamb for repair. One thing I do is to re-prime both sides of the jamb, with a high quality oil primer, and allow to thoroughly dry before attempting to install them. This may delay my project a day but I feel that it's worth it. You state that the door has little coverage from the elements. In a case like this I would suggest to the homeowner that they seriously consider the installation of a "storm" type door to keep the elements off of most of their nice door. Good Luck, David


Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Western Ontario
Posts: 955
Rewards Points: 500

I have a similar issue with a bowed sill on a 42`` exterior door. I need to remove the sill and may have to replace the jamb so I did a bit of research. If you`re up for it and the doors themselves are still in good shape you might consider removing the entire door and replacing that side of the jamb top to bottom...Several local door manufacturers here have kits available for rebuilds.
I did splice in a foot long section on my jamb inside surrounding the deadbolt with 1 x 3 but it is not exposed to weather and I did not cut through the entire 1x 6 jamb.. I used 4- 6 inch screws and a bit of filler and all is good 5 years later, but again this is inside
Also see if you can do anything to deflect future moisture
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000

yes, polywood or Minwax wood epoxy will work fine to patch the rotted wood.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace door sill = Need new door? NNJGUY Carpentry 23 09-01-2009 01:54 PM
one rotted deck joist to replace, need advice dougq Building & Construction 10 07-07-2009 02:18 PM
How to replace a partially rotted soffit that's sandwiched in pgraff99 Carpentry 21 10-22-2008 02:25 PM
Help: Rotted wall joists, wall frame plates, subfloor smallblockchevy Remodeling 8 07-22-2008 06:14 AM
Replace rotted 2x4's in cement patio KennS Building & Construction 3 06-18-2008 11:41 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1